@ UTSA/Vs. UIW 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: @ UTSA/Vs. UIW
I want to know if Ty interfered in the pitching rotation to push Lewis. Lewis continually popping up in there when he's been a mess all year, especially in a heavy week, seems like a very Ty thing to do.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Hubbard doubles in 2 with 2 out in the B9th to give the Cats a 6-5 come from behind win over UIW.
Not pretty, but I'll take it.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
I want to know if Ty interfered in the pitching rotation to push Lewis. Lewis continually popping up in there when he's been a mess all year, especially in a heavy week, seems like a very Ty thing to do.

Here's my guess on the decision. It's a 5 game week. Engle is more likely to get deeper into a game. Throw him on Wednesday so if you have to throw more bullpen arms you do it on Tuesday to give those guys a shot to be ready by Friday at Coastal. If you have to extend the bullpen on a Wednesday you may burn some arms for Friday. Ty said after tonight's game Engle is likely to start vs UT next Tuesday.

It took 3 in the bottom of the 9th but the cats beat UIW 6-5 tonight. Offense did absolutely nothing until the 7th. I feel we get a bit too patient sometimes to the point where we put ourselves in too many 2 strike counts. If a guy shows the ability to get ahead like UIW's starter did lets try to mash early.

Engle looked ok. Threw 6 complete giving up 2 runs. He's easily the better mid-week option over Lewis right now in the traditional 4 game week. We really need Lewis to get it together though still. We have two more 5 game weeks in the regular season and SBC tournament could take 5+ games to win.

UIW seemed vastly improved to me compared to the last few years. Their starter was a 230lb freshman that pretty much dominated us and they could really hit the ball. I think they made a solid coaching hire in this Hallmark guy.

Gigantic series with a ranked coastal team in Conway this weekend.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm
SuperCat

I would like to see one of the freshmen get a start. I do not want to see B. Lewis on the mound ever again. Sounds harsh I know. I just don't care. The guy can't pitch. All 3 of the freshmen who have pitched have looked better than Lewis. I know they have had limited innings. I still say give one of them a chance.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I think Ty realized that UIW is better than UTSA so he started Engle against UTSA.

UIW's athletic director, Brian Wickstrom, has made a few good hires the past 2 years - Hallmark for baseball and Eric Morris for football. He seems like a really good hire for them. If only we could get rid of LT and get a really AD...

Quote:
New University of the Incarnate Word athletic director Brian Wickstrom vowed Wednesday to work tirelessly to raise funds for facility upgrades, including construction of a baseball/softball complex he estimated could cost about $13 million.

“If we are going to be a legitimate Division I program, we need to build the facilities and the budgets that student-athletes deserve when they are in a Division I program,” Wickstrom said.

In addition to a baseball/softball complex, Wickstrom listed enhancements to Benson Stadium, which is used for soccer, track and football, and construction of a practice facility for the men’s and women’s basketball teams as other possible front-burner projects.

“We have to share one gym basically for practice time and games, and that’s hard,” Wickstrom said.

UIW men’s basketball coach Ken Burmeister applauded Wickstrom’s vision but took it a step further by suggesting a new basketball facility is needed to replace the 28-year-old McDermott Convocation Center, which seats 2,000.

“The biggest thing we need right now is our facilities updated for Division I,” Burmeister said. “We are way behind in a lot of sports. Our facility for men’s basketball and women’s basketball and volleyball needs some help, no question about it. Because you can do all the recruiting (you want), and then when a student-athlete, basketball player comes in, and they see the facility, within five seconds they change their mind.”

Burmeister said the lack of a “good facility” makes it difficult to broker home-and-home scheduling contracts with respected programs.

“There are so many fundraising events, so many people using the (Convocation Center), it’s almost like a rec center right now,” Burmeister said. “It’s hard for the student-athlete to get work in.”

Labeled an “extraordinary fundraiser” by a UIW administrator, Wickstrom, 48, joins UIW after a four-year stint as A.D. at Louisiana-Monroe, a tenure highlighted by what newsstar.com called a “historic uptick in fundraising and wholesale athletic upgrades.”

Nine of the top 10 financial contributions to the athletic department in ULM history occurred during Wickstrom’s tenure, the website reported.

“If we can build the proper facilities and enhance our budget, we could compete for conference championships on a regular basis,” Wickstrom said.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

Wickstrom was with our good buddies in ULM prior to going to UIW.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 am