Shelby Adams.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Shelby Adams....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Have to say this kid was legit when I saw him play in high school, and he's starting to adjust well and gain confidence in the college game. I could see him being on NBA scouts radars a couple years down the road if he can tighten up his defense and gain some bulk by then. :texasstate:

He's got a decent outside shot, and a very good mid range. But his cutting to the basket and opening up looks for others was and continues to be his best asset.

Reminds me a lot of Donte Mathis.

On the flip side, what's going on with Pearson. He's seemingly disappeared completely on the offensive side in games when we need him most. Sophmore slumps for he and Nedja?

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Shelby Adams....
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I could see him being on NBA scouts radars a couple years down the road if he can tighten up his defense and gain some bulk by then.

not sure why you poison an otherwise good take about the kid with bullshit like this, but that's textbook taxi...

nonsensical hyperbole aside, he definitely looks like a player for us. only player on the court tonight that didn't look scared to take a shot. hopefully he develops better than some of the stache's previous players.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

You don't even know who Donte Mathis is or ever saw him play, did you? You probably would have said the same thing of Jeff Foster as Adams if you had seen him play. But of course, you're vast Bobcat athletic experience of all of five years is what we should rely on for good assessment, right? You have zero ability to spot or evaluate athletic talent, you just parrot things you read online.

It was no surprise that last home game, we made a run with Adams in the game and then the offense totally disappeared when he sat back down.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So I like Adams. He's one of the few guys on the team that can create off the dribble. The problem is his shot mechanics. They are inconsistent and I'm not sure where he learned them. They are pretty atrocious...the whole thing is out of whack. I agree with Taxman...there's something there. I would not start him though at this point. Blount is a much better option right now in my opinion.

As far as Pearson, he's still a good player. He's just a victim of an ineffective offense and a point guard who has a shoot first mentality. Pearson is not the type of player that can create his own shot and that makes him look worse on this team.

As far as Prijovic...I am clueless there. I like him A LOT, but he seems tentative 90% of the time. He needs to be looking for his shot.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Ahh... going for that four week old thread, taxman? :lol:

Saul is alluding to your propensity toward hyperbolic descriptions of players, whether it be declaring players NFL material or predicting NBA radar status despite an incredibly limited sample of their work. Your description of him was solid & accurate, but throwing in the whole NBA prospect slant results in your otherwise fair points about him not being taken seriously. Especially a freshman.

I think he is talented and a player I really like with a tremendous potential upside, but he is very, very raw still. For example, he has excellent shot selection for the most part, but that tails off when there is more pressure on him to score. You can see this in his more recent higher-minute games. And Twinky has already referred to his glaring flaw of shot mechanics--the dude needs to rebuild his shot during the summer.

Let's take your assertion that he makes the team tick in creating opportunities. If that were truly the case, he would have had more than one assist against Louisiana (which is the game that spawned this thread). In fairness, he did go 3-6 that game. Since then, he has had exactly one multi-assist game (against GaSt, where he also went 2-9 from the field & contributed to that loss). This is also why his minutes are all over the place--like most freshmen at this conference level, he really needs some significant refinement. Calling him a "potential NBA prospect if..." followed by a list of things needed is pretty dubious.

Adams is also still a bit of a defensive liability on the court. That's a problem since he is not offensively consistent and our offense doesn't give our defense much margin of error. I look toward guards for steals (he has only had two games with multiple steals) and to pull at least a few offensive & defensive long rebounds. When I see a freshman guard that doesn't foul much, I also grow suspicious of how aggressive his defensive play is. From watching him, that is more a factor of him getting lucky on not getting calls.

Also, he is one of our worse FT shooters.

For the record, I remember watching both Donte Mathis and Jeff Foster, even back in high school since I was SA area. Throwing that level of praise towards Adams is pretty dubious at this point--both Mathis & Foster had already set themselves head & shoulders apart early in their SWT careers in terms of talent with both the team and much of the SLC practically from the moment each set foot on the court. And both of them were lucky "gets" for us that didn't give clear indications of potential collegiate dominance at the high school level--larger programs considered both of them too much of risk/project (or in the case of Mathis, being overshadowed by Bonewitz and another guy). I can say this because I remember my high school playing against Madison & East Central, and I went to several SWT games in the late 90s. People forget what a magical time the mid-90s was for basketball in San Antonio. I think 1995 alone produced seven D1 signees.

I wish Mike Miller could have done a better job of preparing Donte Mathis as a potential NBA prospect instead of just using him as a collegiate scoring machine. Miller didn't take the time to develop those other skills that might've helped Mathis get attention (some of that the result of limited resources for assistants). Plus, Miller wasn't a good enough coach to have gotten repeat SLC Tournament Championships and NCAA appearances following 1997. That lack of visibility doomed Mathis. Foster was able to overcome in part because he was a rare & prized commodity--a highly talented big man. Mathis, despite his talent, became "just another scorer from a low-tier conference."

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am