Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Looking ahead.... 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Looking ahead....
Bobcats survive Troy 57-56. Troy misses a layup as time expires to preserve the Bobcat win. Cats now 3-1 in conference, and face the Red Wolves next Thursday.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:28 pm
SuperCat

Glad I'm not any older than I am. I thought I was going to have a stroke. Thanks for taking one for the team x.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm
Junior Bobcat

That was an ugly second half. Geez.

Like the confidence they had in Adams to play him most of the second half. He’s a very good defensive player. Good athlete. Seems to move well without the ball but he’s a bit clueless of what to do with the ball in his hands. Think he can be a very good player and bring some good size to the 2 spot for the next few years.

Nedja doesn’t look the same as he did last year. Not sure if it’s still the injury but just didn’t look confident and was pretty slow.

Nottingham has a little flair to his game. It’s refreshing to me during the Kaspar O era but he needs to get smarter with the ball too. Has great vision.

Seemed like they were in some sort of zone/trap on the last second play and it failed miserably. Very lucky to win the game.

Hope Davis injury isn’t bad but at the end it showed him on crutches talking to Kaspar, so not a good sign.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:35 pm
SuperCat

I hope Marlen is ok too. You are right, that was ugly. At least they won. It's certainly better than losing at the end like earlier in the season. Just win.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I’d like to think this was just a bad game for Nedja. He hasn’t improved much but he’s played much better this season than he did today.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Sounds like a torn ACL for Davis unfortunately.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

I texted a friend when we were up 11 that it would come down to the wire. We rarely seem to close out a game well with the lead. Glad we got the W even if it took a missed layup by Troy. 3-1 with another winnable one up next.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Sounds like a torn ACL for Davis unfortunately.

Injury happened close to where I was sitting. You could see the knee shift with the ligament snap. He's gotta be done for the year.

I actually think Nottingham was pretty serviceable in relief. He had six assists, which was great to see for a cold entry off the bench. His passing is excellent--only one of his turnovers was a real bonehead one. He needs to get his scoring up just a bit, which is likely confidence-related. I'm hoping Kaspar adapts a little to Nottingham's style. It doesn't need to be a complete shift, but he has a lot of potential as an unexpected threat. If Kaspar would mix in just a bit of quick-strike pick & roll working the point, it would really make the rest of the more conventional motion offense function better. Of course, now we have a PG shortage.

Peacock & Pearson need to work on their shooting efficiency. They are taking more high percentage shots interior, but rimming out. Pearson was on the court practically the entire game--way too long. I think that may have contributed to his performance, especially since I think his turnovers came later in the game. Pearson was ice cold from 3 points.

King had a pretty nice, balanced game with a nice stat line even with 23 minutes. Maybe keep him on the court a bit more.

I wish Terry could have stayed out of foul trouble a bit better. Just my perception, but we seem to gel better with him on the court. And I like his defensive energy (even though it burned him on fouls against Troy).

Going 0-8 from 3 points in the second half was just ugly. We went 6-9 in the first half, which I think got us addicted. Troy got better about challenging the perimeter, which contributed to our offensive shutdown. More specifically, they realized Pearson was ice-cold from the arc and would leave him open, allowing them to collapse down on the interior and hone in on our perimeter passing. Other teams would be wise to review Troy's in-game defensive adjustments--in my opinion they've been the most effective in shutting us down when our offense gets a little warm.

Kaspar jaws at the players way too much while executing the offense. It is almost non-stop. If I were a player, I would find that HIGHLY distracting. I think it affects our shooting confidence. Admittedly he is often pushing them to move the ball rather than hold it.

We had a bad defensive play call on Troy's last shot. We got lucky.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am
True Bobcat Fan

Agree on Kaspar being a distraction when we are on offense. Practice is the time for that and if they don't have ball movement down by game time, then practice needs to change. Danny has always been a defensive coach, but I saw on twitter his coaching record is ridiculous when his teams score at least 70.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm going to start watching our performance from one half to another closer. We almost always have a "hot" and "cold" half, and I wonder if cold half correlates to when we are on offense in front of our bench. Basically, because he can talk at them more due to proximity, does it have negative results.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm
SuperCat

Yeah, thinking the next few games are winnable. Might just drive up from Houston to see both women and men on a Sat. Not a bad deal to see them both play on Sat afternoon.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Shame to lose Davis for the year. Nottingham can be a bigger scoring threat offensively than Davis at least. What most people don't see though is how much better a defender Davis has been compared to Nottingham. Davis had been doing a pretty good job the last few games defending the opposing teams' best guards. Nottingham has some work to do defensively. Reggie Miller is about to start getting plentiful minutes too I bet, though Nottingham played the entire 2nd half on Saturday.

Agree with LT Spider with the frustration in struggling to close out games in which we build a lead, it's becoming a common trend that we have to find a way to break. Had we not blown a 9-point lead to App we'd be 4-0 in conference, and blowing the huge lead with a minute to go with utsa still stings. We'd be 12-5 if we hung on to those two games.

Injuries are piling up. Davis gone for the year likely, Gurley hasn't played in weeks, Prijovic doesn't look the same to me so I bet that tendonitis is still bothering him. Hopefully we can get Gurley and Prijovic back to 100% at some point.

Pearson's being asked to carry the load offensively. Peacock, and to a lesser extent Blount, have been the only real surprises as far as guys contributing more on offense than maybe expected in the preseason. Pearson shooting pretty poorly from the field, but we're asking him to do most of the scoring. And as BG said he's playing a ton of minutes. He did last year also so we know he's capable, but that 3 at the end of the game Saturday was well short as I'm sure his legs were gone. We really got lucky Peacock was there for a putback and Troy missed an open layup.

King is probably our 2nd most consistent scorer, but usually either gets fatigued or gets in foul trouble so he's usually only good for 25 MPG max. I actually think Terry has more potential as a scorer than King, but he can't rebound or defend near as well as King at this point.

The Arkansas road trip this week is probably the easiest conference road trip we'll have on the year. A-state is struggling so far in Mike Balado's first year at the helm, and I think Little Rock has distanced themselves from the pack as the worst team in the league at this point. It's tough to win on the road in the Sun Belt, but we need a 1-1 split at minimum this weekend and I do think 2-0 is possible and should be the goal. There are going to be some brutal road trips later, need to take advantage of this less challenging one we get early.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This is where I get ahead of myself, but I think 2-0 is a realistic expectation if we are going to compete for the conference title. If we split, it will temper my expectations a bit as we have a lot of tougher road foes than A-State.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Line came out as a pickem.

Apparently Pearson is learning to play PG to back up Nottingham.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats get a 73-67 road win over the Red Wolves tonight . . .

. . and UTA is getting whacked by Little Rock . . . just can't figure those Mavs out this year.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next