Strahan Renovation Concept Images 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Strahan Renovation Concept Images
The only way to not have volleyball lines on your basketball court is to have a separate volleyball facility.

It seems to me most schools that have separate facilities for each will build a new basketball facility and keep the older facility for volleyball.

I'd say most D1 schools still share those facilities though and do have volleyball lines on their court. I'll take a wild guess that maybe 20% of D1 schools have separate facilities for each.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i much prefer the separate volleyball venue. terrible to watch any sport in a venue 5x what the crowd is. at the 1st round of the ncaa tourney a couple of years ago some redneck bobcat chick in front of me was trying to talk about how strahan was a better venue than gregory gym and all i could do was shake my head in disbelief.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
The only way to not have volleyball lines on your basketball court is to have a separate volleyball facility.

It seems to me most schools that have separate facilities for each will build a new basketball facility and keep the older facility for volleyball.

I'm not trying to come off as a jackass, but couldn't we just have separate floors for each sport like they do in other sports areas?

Last edited by ThunderCat on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Can you name any college programs that have separate floors for basketball and volleyball?

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

the 2nd floor is a composite grid deal and while it's not terrible (they use it for the ncaa tournament rounds 1-4), it's not wood, and it's not attractive in the slightest. can't imagine the girls like sliding on it either, but that's completely anecdotal on my part.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Can you name any college programs that have separate floors for basketball and volleyball?

I'm sure there are several but the first one that comes to mind is a school I also attended.
http://floridagators.com/facilities/?id=2
"The volleyball team plays on their own volleyball-specific floor in the main arena"
Link includes a picture of both floors, one for basketball and volleyball.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:03 pm
SuperCat

Im going to some presentation before the mens game tomorrow about the new facility. I'll report back if I'm sober enough to remember anything.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
Im going to some presentation before the mens game tomorrow about the new facility. I'll report back if I'm sober enough to remember anything.

I'll be there as well... mainly for the booze.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:05 pm
SuperCat

Nothing new to report really. They were good hosts and broke out the dogfish head 90 minute IPA. Gave me free game tickets as well. As much as I rag on them, I do appreciate that effort and hospitality.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yep. Nothing too earth-shattering.

The noon event was supposed to be a young alumni task force and was more informative. There were 10 of us there. 10 of us. It was a nice presentation and everything, but 10 young alumni showing up (really 8 households since two of us had spouses in tow) is indicative of the problem. I made the comment I've made for over a decade now: catnip for young alumni is a successful athletic program. We don't have that, and its success is what gets them in the elevator to hear the rest of the elevator speech. Texas State is doing some cool shit on the academic side, but you need the megaphone of athletics to get that message out to young alumni.

The event between the WBB & MBB was a pretty simple run-thru of the information above.

They did confirm that they are redoing the concourses & restroom facilities, which wasn't quite clear yet when I spoke with my friend. They did show more images of locker rooms, etc. It is nice to see the net result of us getting an actual, legitimate D1 facility when the dust clears away.

I also got an answer during the noon event about the exterior architecture. They have a handful of designed for the Aquarena side and Sewell side of Strahan Arena (will now be called arena rather than coliseum). The one I'm willing to place my money on is an arched colonnade added to those sides. If you want to get an idea of what I'm talking about, you can see it used on the Undergraduate Academic Center building on the side facing Evans. They also have a tower element retrofit for the corner of the Aquarena & Sewell facades.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks for the updates

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:28 pm
SuperCat

There will be a club level for basketball which I find interesting. I wonder what the donor level will be to get in.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:51 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
There will be a club level for basketball which I find interesting. I wonder what the donor level will be to get in.

Considering there are almost no donors...I would suspect anyone with a pulse and $5 bux in their pocket will be allowed in.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:06 pm
Junior Bobcat

So, has construction started on the Strahan expansion? This was supposed to start this month. I have not heard anything on this.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yes. There is a giant ass hole in the ground behind the wall now.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm