Strahan Renovation Concept Images 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Strahan Renovation Concept Images
I hadn't seen this before (apologies if old news), but love what I see here with the proposed upgrades to Strahan.

http://txstatebobcats.com/sports/2016/10/31/university-events-center.aspx

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:07 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: Strahan Renovation Concept Images
Been waiting to see more renderings for a long time. Thanks for sharing.
I think the renovations look great. This should help a lot with recruiting and dare I say it...exciting home ooc scheduling.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:49 am
Junior Bobcat

Wow this looks great!!!!!

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Are the old seats being left or are they being replaced? They look like the same drab colors in the renderings. It would be nice if they matched the new section. Other than that I love the new look. Huge improvement.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:50 pm
Junior Bobcat

slycat wrote:
Are the old seats being left or are they being replaced? They look like the same drab colors in the renderings. It would be nice if they matched the new section. Other than that I love the new look. Huge improvement.

This. Old seats are awful, and if they are going to go through this project, itd be nice if they updated everything to be uniform.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 pm
SuperCat

Hopefully these renderings are accurate.. we should have no problem getting decent recruits w that stadium. Hopefully we can be an elite program someday to make up for our terrible fball program... What would the max capacity be? 9K plus?

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bobcatfanatic05 wrote:
Hopefully these renderings are accurate.. we should have no problem getting decent recruits w that stadium. Hopefully we can be an elite program someday to make up for our terrible fball program... What would the max capacity be? 9K plus?

At this point, I'd much rather us focus on becoming a Basketball school rather than a football school.. Yes, it's Texas, but we're over saturated with FB teams right now.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:35 am
SuperCat

Football has to be at least decent to drive the money train. But, I agree with your thoughts overall. Much easier to be a good basketball school needing only one or two players to make a difference. Can also get a solid coach for less money sometimes. Only bad thing is that you can have a really good team in the sun belt and not make the tourney because you lose one game in the conf tourney.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:12 am
Junior Bobcat

I agree with the previous two posts, Football needs to turn it around and be competitive, but Basketball is where we should be trying to really pick it up. Strahan is getting its much needed refurbishing and will be among the nicest arenas in the conference as well as largest. Basketball is a sport that can really be turned around relatively quickly and with many options for building a team.

I also feel conference wise, its an easier way to raise the level of respect and notoriety with some big basketball achievements.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

FYI, construction has started.

The area outside the wall is fenced off and the usual main entrance appears to be out of use for this season as they have everyone entering/exiting through a different gate.

Looking forward to watching the progress come along.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm friends with the project manager on this project. I'll see if I can talk him into a tour while it is under construction since I have to wear a hard hat myself from time to time at my job.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:57 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bleed Gold, will you ask your friend what the scope is for this renovation? Will you let us know on this thread what you can find out about the project as you find out yourself?

Are they just going to build the new section or are they going to renovate the whole arena?
Is the concourse getting a face-lift?
Is the outside getting a face-lift?
Are they replacing all of the seats?
Will the new section include a new main entrance?
Now, the video board is on the wall. Renderings show a video board on the scoreboard. Will there be one on all 4 sides?
Any upgrades to the sound?
Any new/upgraded features (additional video displays/ribbon boards, upgraded wifi, CCTVs in the concourse, etc.)?

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:48 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

All right... got hold of him this afternoon.

The project will complete the oval seating bowl by filling in the horseshoe. The existing concourse will be updated, to what extent depends on budget. Basically, they've got a handful of alternates they can pull the trigger on as the project buys out.

The yellow seats will, unfortunately, remain for the time being. They ran into some quirks regarding ADA in swapping the seats out wholesale (classified as renovation rather than maintenance). Those seats are at the end of their useful life, so watch for those to be slowly replaced over a period of a few years, or as a completely separate "maintenance project" following completion of this project.

There is some exterior refresh on the remainder of the building, though not as much as he would prefer. Again, this came down to budget. Those are also relatively easy add-on items if budget savings are achieved elsewhere, and can be done while the building is in active use.

The new addition will include a new primary main entrance for the facility, complete with the arch & tower themes you find on all other recent construction.

You are getting a 4-sided video board scoreboard and new audio. The volume of the building is changing along with the acoustics of losing a big ass wall, so audio upgrades were absolutely necessary.

The other stuff you already know... new arena sports locker rooms, new non-arena sports locker rooms, coaches offices, a small food vendor area open during the day, and a swanky multi-purpose room that can host VIP events.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks, BG.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 pm
SuperCat

I have realized Texas State is one of the only schools to have volleyball lines painted on the court. Does anyone know if this will be addressed in the near future? I suppose that would mean they have to build a new volleyball gym. The MBB team posted a picture of the South Alabama court...even they don't have volleyball lines.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:01 pm