UTSA game thoughts 
SuperCat

Post UTSA game thoughts
This one will be shorter than usual because I'm exhausted and still pretty drunk.

1. Good crowd in the first half. It took the help of the UTSA fans but it was good to see the stadium full and people more into the game. Beer sales seemed like they made more than on ticket sales.

2. UTSA recruiting and upperclassmen paid off big time. They are better at maybe every single position group. Both of our lines were dominated. You could play that game 100 times and they would beat us every time.

3. Our offense added a few creative wrinkles and we moved the ball well at times. But, the OL was so overmatched it was always going to be a struggle. It's hard to even rate the other positions because of the OL. Williams was only 9/24 but that was hardly his fault. I'll give him credit for no picks while running for his life.

4. Defense was the big disappointment. UTSA moved the ball with ease and dominated our front 7. We were missing some key people but we needed them to keep us in the game longer. We gave up 11.6 per carry to Rhodes on 15 carries.

5. If you want to win a lot of games, go to bowl games, and have a fun stadium environment, then we should be learning from UTSA. I hate those cock gobblers but they built a program from scratch with legit fan support.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: UTSA game thoughts
I'd only add that I hope everyone embraces this as a rivalry now. Like it or not, this game gets our fans to the stadium, and I suspect it always will. Both sets of fans travel very well. It took about two seconds of looking around to find seats in the alumni section, where TXST fans had brought UTSA friends/family. Even the guy the two cops hauled off with the UTSA flag was great. God, he was pissed. From a fan perspective, that's a rivalry.

Even though we were not at their level in either game, we ought to be, and I expect we will be. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Until we start beating them so easily that it becomes boring and predictable, and until every game day feels like a UTSA game day, they may be the best thing we could ask for, for our program.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
Williams was only 9/24 but that was hardly his fault. I'll give him credit for no picks while running for his life.

dude has GOT to start getting rid of the ball instead of taking sacks. just throw it out of bounds son!!

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:46 am
Junior Bobcat

lurker wrote:
I'd only add that I hope everyone embraces this as a rivalry now. Like it or not, this game gets our fans to the stadium, and I suspect it always will.

This. Seriously it drives me nuts that we're not in a conference with the other G5 Texas teams. There would be so much more interest in our team and games if we were. We who follow the team religiously understand the importance of the game vs app state and how in the scheme of the season it was more important than the utsa game. But your typical fan doesn't know app state and couldn't give two shits about them. Utsa though? Absolutely and fuck them we're going to put a show on for them. Hell I think we would have more fan interest against even unt than the rest of the sunbelt.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

UTSAs AD that got them here could use a job....

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

And yes it is a rivalry. That is the most chatter I have seen from my TXST friends on Facebook that never give a crap about the team in years. I had people I know that went to UTSA talking trash and getting excited too and you never here them talk football.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Agree agree agree on all comments regarding UTSA rivalry. The amount of stuff I saw on social media especially from friends I rarely see post about TxSt football was fun to see! Even saw fb posts of other some frat brothers who were at the game. Those dudes I know don't come to games but maybe once in a blue moon, but they came out for this one. Even my sister who went to UTSA for 2 years whom never talks about that school texted me last night to rub it in when that score became final. The best thing LT could do was sign this multi year deal. However, I still despise that guy so I'm gonna give credit to Lynn Hickey who probably put this whole thing together unless I hear otherwise :lol: .

Saw this on TV when I got home from local marching contest, and crowd looked good on TV. Even the announcers were a step up from the ESPN announcers that we normally get.

Some gripes:
-Crowd still thins out after halftime despite the fact that the team was still in it. (although it was clear from the HT stats and the way things were going that it would only snowball in their favor in the 3rd/4th qtr)
-Ref mics. Holy shit guys, it's been the same story for like 6+ years going back to the WAC days. How do you still have the same consistent problem year after year!?

One thing was clear. The have a good coach. Yeh they had some bonehead penalties that honestly made this game closer for us than it should have been. That Larry Teis is an example of doing it right.

Not only do they have a great coach (was super impressed with that clock management at the end of the 1st half and how seamlessly he had that FG unit ready to go to get that kick off before the half ended. Adding to that was the fact that the kicker was a freshman doing that under the time pressure and then also nailing his career long FG to top it off...impressive) but they have recruited well. We might was well be back in the FCS as from the onset we looked outsized and it clearly showed with both lines. Watching from TV you get those close up shots and, holy crap man, the size differential was scary. There were many plays where their Dline would brush off our OLine and were in the backfield literally as fast as that ball was snapped into DWilliams hands. They would literally brush past the Oline as if seemingly opening a door in their home on a Sunday afternoon. Recruiting and coaching. Those guys have clearly done it right, and I still am a fan of Withers but who I am upset with after watching this game is Larry Teis for his years of failures that have led to this point.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:44 am
SuperCat

Right on all counts. On more than 1 play they had a def-end guy in our backfield that could have taken the hand off. With leaving at halftime, we get behind and stay that way. So the fans have nothing to look forward to as far as a come back.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

Looking at the remaining schedule, there might be 2 wins: Coastal and GSU . . . But if the injuries continue to mount, even those may be in doubt . . . .

... as to the size differential between us and our opponents, Withers does know he's recruiting for fBs and not fCs don't he?

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat87 wrote:
Looking at the remaining schedule, there might be 2 wins: Coastal and GSU . . . But if the injuries continue to mount, even those may be in doubt . . . .

... as to the size differential between us and our opponents, Withers does know he's recruiting for fBs and not fCs don't he?

I have a feeling we'll split the Louisiana games. But honestly, no telling which one we win and which one we lose.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat87 wrote:

sigh. it's unreal how a fan that [allegedly] follow this team, and college sports in general, can ask this. mind bottling.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:44 am
SuperCat

There's so much wrong with the question that it's not worth addressing.

I was pretty happy with the overall attendance and environment. Beer lines get really long at games like this. They need to bring in more of the vendors that walk around with tubs. Glad we made a bunch of money at least.

Our best crowds recently have been tech, navy, Houston, and utsa. Three of the four have relied on the other team buying 1/3 of the tickets. Really hoping that as we move forward we can avoid other teams "taking over" our stadium.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:56 am
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
I was pretty happy with the overall attendance and environment. Beer lines get really long at games like this. They need to bring in more of the vendors that walk around with tubs. Glad we made a bunch of money at least.

it's not even just having more vendors/beer stations - have ACTUAL FUCKING BARTENDERS who know what they are doing. they use the chartwells clowns who have a tabc card, and zero experience actually running a well. the 3 girls in the location i went to may as well have been plucked from narnia. 1 was doing absolutely nothing but being busy doing nothing - literally shuffling shit from one area to another w/o actually cleaning, clearing, replacing the warm beer on the ground into the tubs. 1 would take cash from a customer and put it into a hip pouch, take it back out to give change, put it back in...over and over and over. 1 ran w/ the wireless cc machine that was [joe]stug-a-ling[/namath] to connect. i could pull 20 beer tub girls from bars on the square/6th who would have had those lines moving w/ the swiftness, and in turn, selling WAY more beer. maddening. 23 minutes to get a beer (yes, i timed it).

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat87 wrote:

sigh. it's unreal how a fan that [allegedly] follow this team, and college sports in general, can ask this. mind bottling.

Not really, go back and look at the posts on this board since Fran or before . . . one of the more consistent knocks on our team is that they're too small, too slow. . . . with Fran we couldn't win til he recruited HKGs . .

In fact, the only thing more consistent than our losing the past 10-12 years, are the posts on this and other sites as to why . . .

Here's a sampling:

Too young, too small, too slow, need OKGs, rebuilding, new coach needs time to implement his system, need to recruit better talent, lack the complete number of Scholly players, inexperienced just need more time to get the guys up to speed . .

Bottom line:

New year, same ol' Bobcats, and same ol' reasons as to why we don't/can't win. And spare me the Withers is in his second year after blowing the whole thing up speal . . I'm aware.

A third of the way into the season and we're sporting an anemic offense that's averaging 12.5 points a game while the D is surrendering about 28. We're 1-3 and will be lucky to see 3 wins.

I guess to you it's mind boggling that a fan would want more than one or two decent seasons since 2005.

How many other college teams have had the same issues as us, yet managed to turn the thing around in less than a decade?

You can justify or rationalize the under performance of this football program any way you like, but to be a perennial loser for as long as we've been, while still spewing the same tired reasons for it is just pathetic . . .

Someone wake me when we field a winner again.

Rip Van Winkle . . .

OUT

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat87 wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

87, when do you think Withers started? How many classes has he recruited here at TXST?

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 pm