Some Sunshine Pumping... 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Some Sunshine Pumping...
I agree with most everyone in regards to the apathetic, disorganized, and discombobulated Athletic Department that we are stuck with.

But I am excited about some of the growth we have seen on the field so far this year. Maybe Withers can succeed despite the Athletic Dept. Of course my fear is if we have success, Withers leaves and we have no one to pick up that torch....but for now...I'm going to live in the present and have fun watching this team grow.

I enjoyed this article from Bobcat Report:
https://texasstate.rivals.com/news/bobcats-searching-for-a-pair-and-a-spare-

Bobcats Searching for a "Pair and a Spare."

Peter Manfre | Staff

SAN MARCOS - When Texas State head coach Everett Withers came to San Marcos, he preached building the team from the ground up. Citing that it “starts with recruiting” on multiple occasions.

He reiterated that fact this past Saturday after a tough loss to Appalachian State.

“If we keep recruiting guys like the ones we have in the locker room right now, this program will go far,” Withers said after the game.

While Withers is just at the start of his second season in San Marcos, he has already made a major impact in the infusion of talent on the Bobcats’ roster.

Offensive line coach Eric Mateos, a new addition to Wither’s staff this summer, preached the value of recruiting at media day in August.

Mateos, a former coach at LSU and Arkansas, praised the city of San Marcos. “ When I look at a job offer, I consider two things.” Mateos said, “Can I coach for this head coach? Absolutely. Can I recruit here? When I drove into San Marcos, I realized I can recruit the hell out of this place. Might be easier than anywhere else. We are talking central Texas with a gorgeous landscape.”

It would appear that high school players have taken note as well. The Bobcats’ 2017 recruiting class was ranked 92nd in the nation, a ranking that topped Sun Belt Conference. The atmosphere in San Marcos is attracting more and more recruits.

Three games into this season, the Bobcats have had 14 freshmen play in a game already.

After the loss to Appalachian State, Withers reiterated the overall value of depth on the defense.

“We need a pair and a spare on defense,” Withers said. “We need more depth on defense but that comes with recruiting. We are getting closer to hitting our goal.”

Withers has preached since day one the value of recruiting and, while the product on the field may not show as much in the win columns, it is showing up on the field. The Bobcats have been in every game up until at least midway through the third. They have beaten the spread in their two losses - even if it was only by half a point against Colorado.

There is a renewed excitement in San Marcos that revolves around the football team. While the average fan may not have recognized it, the recruiting markets have. The Bobcats have caught the eyes of high school prospects. Their 2018 recruiting class already has six three-star prospects committed and rank 90th in the nation with plenty of time to build onto it.

“When I was in the SEC, we looked at recruiting like a win against Saban,” Mateos said. “If we get a guy they[Alabama] wanted, we win. It is a small win, but small wins add up to real wins. That’s what we are trying to do here.”

The Bobcats are getting wins off the field in the recruiting field, and soon it will lead to wins on the field. Withers is trying to build a team that will last for years to come, and a winning program only goes as far as it’s recruiting. While there has been obvious progress seen early on this season, the growth is expected to continue in San Marcos on the field.

Look more into the box scores, and into the team as a whole. You don’t want to be the fan sleeping at home during the game and miss out on a football program-altering game. The Bobcats have shown they are getting better, and soon they will be for real.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Some Sunshine Pumping...
This has been a fun team to watch through 3 games. I can't wait to watch these guys continue to grow as the year goes on.

Last year was really difficult to sit through, this year is a completely different team. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am
True Bobcat Fan

I am excited to see this team grow over the next couple seasons. The attitude and skill is trending in the right direction. I miss guys like Orakpo but I think we are getting more leaders like him.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:55 am
True Bobcat Fan

Do we have and INT yet on defense? At least one that hasn't been called back?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

txstlinds wrote:
Do we have and INT yet on defense? At least one that hasn't been called back?

Don't recall one. Our DL is the only thing keeping the secondary somewhat respectable. If I was an opposing team, I would like up 5 wide all game long.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

no int yet: http://www.txstatebobcats.com/custompag ... m#TEAM.DEF
Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
Don't recall one. Our DL is the only thing keeping the secondary somewhat respectable. If I was an opposing team, I would like up 5 wide all game long.

you'd take a lot of sacks doing that. we're tied for 13th in the nation vs teams that don't even pass very much.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I should state that while I am absolutely disheartened by the Athletic Department, I am still excited for the team.

The big thing for me is that this year (unlike the last two years), this team has been fun to watch. Would have been way more fun if we won the last two weeks, but still... The games are engaging! We aren't dead in the water after the first quarter. The offense, while still needing work, is fun to watch. The defense is playing better each week (it seems to me) and are playing with enthusiasm.

That's what excites me.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
no int yet: http://www.txstatebobcats.com/custompag ... m#TEAM.DEF

you'd take a lot of sacks doing that. we're tied for 13th in the nation vs teams that don't even pass very much.

I was exaggerating a bit, but as an opposing team, I would be sure to have prepared a lot of 4 wide out sets with a running back available for blitz pickups and keep 'em honest draw plays. When the Bobcat defense can't stack the line and it's harder to disguise blitzes, the secondary suffers.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:11 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

But I am excited about some of the growth we have seen on the field so far this year. Maybe Withers can succeed despite the Athletic Dept. Of course my fear is if we have success, Withers leaves and we have no one to pick up that torch....but for now...I'm going to live in the present and have fun watching this team grow.

And I'm the unrealistic one on this board? You're talking about a coach who currently holds a 3-12 record overall and think we're going to lose him because of the success he's "might" have? :? :? :?

A more likely scenario would be McCray getting poached to another program or leaving on his own right come season's end or in the offseason because of what he's done with our defense.

Our offense was in shambles last year and is currently 109th in the nation. Unless we find SOME semblance of being able to score more than 12 ppg (we are third to last IN THE NATION), there won't be any success to think of.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'll say this... if EW can succeed despite our dysfunctional AD, then miracles can happen.... ~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
And I'm the unrealistic one on this board? You're talking about a coach who currently holds a 3-12 record overall and think we're going to lose him because of the success he's "might" have? :? :? :?

A more likely scenario would be McCray getting poached to another program or leaving on his own right come season's end or in the offseason because of what he's done with our defense.

Our offense was in shambles last year and is currently 109th in the nation. Unless we find SOME semblance of being able to score more than 12 ppg (we are third to last IN THE NATION), there won't be any success to think of.

I wouldn't call you unrealistic but I would call you short-sighted or obtuse since you throw out those stats without the full understanding of the context of the situation and why the offensive #'s are what they are.

Futhermore, I wasn't talking about him getting "poached" right now. I said if he has some success with our program despite our AD (that means the future obviously), I would be fearful of him leaving and no one would be able to carry the torch.

Last edited by Fran's Last Twinky on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i hear withers lecture and preach about his lack of depth but yet he had a huge impact on our lack of depth but he knows that though you'll never hear him own it

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
i hear withers lecture and preach about his lack of depth but yet he had a huge impact on our lack of depth but he knows that though you'll never hear him own it

He's said countless times that he got rid of people that didn't need to be here.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:

He's said countless times that he got rid of people that didn't need to be here.

Which is supported by the abysmal record Fran had his last year.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:29 pm