Has your season outlook changed after 2 games? 
Junior Bobcat

Post Has your season outlook changed after 2 games?
Long time lurker first time poster. ULL looks bad. Really bad. I can see us beating ULM (they've only played one game so don't know much about them), ULL, Coastal, and Georgia State. Four wins this season wouldn't feel too bad at all. Damian Williams does need to pick up his play here soon or hopefully we see more of Jones.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Has your season outlook changed after 2 games?
I feel a little better thanks to the defense. I think UL and GSU are beatable for sure. I think ULM had some fight in them against Memphis so they will be pretty decent I think. CCU won't be easy and it is a road game. But seeing I thought we would win 1 or 2 games, I am feeling better. Too bad we don't play Georgia Southern.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 pm
Junior Bobcat

Same here. Thought we'd be a 2 win team so 4 wins would be great. Hoping for an upset over utsa.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

not sure that it's changed overall. little give, little take. defense has been surprisingly stronger than i expected, and williams has been surprisingly terrible. no clue what that means for w/l.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 pm
SuperCat

Maybe 1 more win if D can get a couple of turnovers in a close game.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Georgia State looked really really really reeeaaalllly bad against Tennessee State a few weeks ago. They haven't played since, but I'm close to expecting a win there based simply off that GSU-TSU game.

I think ULM is in a comparable situation to us. Terrible last year in a pretty good coach's first season and trying to improve in year 2. 50/50.

While Louisiana's defense has looked putrid, their offense has looked pretty good. Add in our history with them (one of those teams that seems to just "have our number") and I'm not seeing a W in Lafayette there.

Coastal is better than people give them credit for I think. You don't get any respect until you earn it at the FBS level but people are going to underestimate them. They were a good FCS team and we've seen recently what really good FCS teams can do coming into this conference (App State and Georgia Southern).

Before the season started I though NMSU was one of our best shots at another win, but they've looked really good through 2 weeks only losing to Arizona State by 6 and beating New Mexico fairly easily. Really interested to see what they do vs. Troy in Las Cruces this weekend.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing wins against App, UTSA, Wyoming, Arkansas State, or Troy at this point.

So other than liking NMSU more than I did before the season started and disliking GSU more, nothing has really changed.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Too early to say for me.

Right now, I'm just happy the CU game wasn't a total blowout so because of that... I'm somewhat optimistic.

1. Defense is not surprising that they have only improved, especially in front 7. Of the front 7, only Mittie, Taylor, Davis, saw significant time playing and the additions of Awad, Patton, and even Banks provides a 2 deep that can keep a game close. Add to that the LBs that will only continue to get better and secondary will be our biggest concern due to experience/talent at this time (not saying there is lack of talent; rather, the talent is young and inexperienced).

2. Offense showed good signs at OL and RB. QB, TE, and WRs need to begin to produce more. OL can say they weren't the reason the offense didn't score vs. CU.

3. QB Williams has yet to find a TE, Watts, or many other WRs not named King, Hays, or Morbley. Not sure if the is problem he's not seeing them or they are not getting open. It doesn't seem to me that the OC/QB coach trust Jones just yet to let him go (throwing specifically).

4. TEs where art thou? To this point, Schrade may be a good locker room guy but we need him to be a better football guy. CU was the worst game I've seen from him. Neither he or Rogers get open OR again, could it be the QBs not finding them? Not sure but this needs to change to keep the chains moving! I'd say they could really solve our issues on 3rd and 6 plays but to this point, it has not happened. In 2 games, have defenses realized how to play our TEs already? I hope not.

5. Special teams have been up and down (not counting punter/kicker here). The players themselves have missed tackles are have allowed more yardage than should be given.

So am I ready to expect more? No but I like what I saw in the CU game and hopefully the OL gained confidence in their showing and can grow from it. I've said before that if we can gain 100 yards rushing we'll be a much better team (RBs and QB rushing for 100 yards). I still believe that.

We are still a team that needs to rely on defense to get off the field and offense to get any points we can right now. Nothing more, nothing less.

I still am hoping for 4 wins and only way for 5 is that numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 improve or it will be less than 4.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 pm
SuperCat

That's a lot of things to improve to get that 5th win. I just hope we can win maybe UTSA, and 2 conference games. To give us something to build upon.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:34 pm
SuperCat

I think if we were to throw on first down more and look for the TE then D Williams and Schrade could get some confidence. I have a hard time believing our offense will continue to be this pathetic. Williams seems to be pressing and sometimes a little confidence is all it takes.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 pm
Junior Bobcat

But if williams doesn't get comfortable soon then we might as well go with Jones more frequently.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

i think you'll see that play out through the middle of the season w/ jones the starter sometime in oct.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

When we were unsure who would start game 1 after Williams out for 3 weeks (not able to work on mechanics) and Jones being noted as having a great camp, I didn't feel Williams would start. Yet, he did. That alone is telling who they feel gives them best chance to win... right now.

Since then and watching Jones being limited on this throws in the last 2 games, I think its pretty obvious that Williams is better at making the calls and putting us in the right play. That is why he started. It hasn't worked out that well due to whatever (Williams mechanics since missing 3 weeks in August, Williams not making right read sometimes, or busted plays every once in a while).

When you look at the schedule and how it plays out, the next 3 games (App. St., UTSA, and Wyoming) are games we have to manage to have a chance to win... like we played the CU game. To be honest, its likely how we'll have to play all season as I've noted (lean on defense and manage offense be it running clock instead of pace because of QB weaknesses/offense still learning/growing). I think they go with Williams as long as it takes before they consider going with Jones to at least mid-season or last 4 games like Jones was moved to bench to see other QBs.

After Wyoming, we have ULM, Louisiana, and Coastal Carolina (likely our best chance to pick up some wins hence Williams still in picture) and then final 4 of NM St., GSU, Ark. St., and Troy. Those last four could be Jones and Gipson time if we've only won 2-3 games by then.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:49 am
SuperCat

About what I expected so far. I expected a bad offense and a much improved defense. Offense is behind what I expected but the defense is ahead of schedule. I really hope that we see the O start to come together as the season goes on.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:03 am
Junior Bobcat

Bobkat34 wrote:
When we were unsure who would start game 1 after Williams out for 3 weeks (not able to work on mechanics) and Jones being noted as having a great camp, I didn't feel Williams would start. Yet, he did. That alone is telling who they feel gives them best chance to win... right now.

Since then and watching Jones being limited on this throws in the last 2 games, I think its pretty obvious that Williams is better at making the calls and putting us in the right play. That is why he started. It hasn't worked out that well due to whatever (Williams mechanics since missing 3 weeks in August, Williams not making right read sometimes, or busted plays every once in a while).

When you look at the schedule and how it plays out, the next 3 games (App. St., UTSA, and Wyoming) are games we have to manage to have a chance to win... like we played the CU game. To be honest, its likely how we'll have to play all season as I've noted (lean on defense and manage offense be it running clock instead of pace because of QB weaknesses/offense still learning/growing). I think they go with Williams as long as it takes before they consider going with Jones to at least mid-season or last 4 games like Jones was moved to bench to see other QBs.

After Wyoming, we have ULM, Louisiana, and Coastal Carolina (likely our best chance to pick up some wins hence Williams still in picture) and then final 4 of NM St., GSU, Ark. St., and Troy. Those last four could be Jones and Gipson time if we've only won 2-3 games by then.

Williams may not have been able to develop chemistry with the WR core during that time away but he sure as hell better have been practicing with someone somewhere. He most likely knew whether he was coming back or not. GRE scores are given to you at the conclusion of the computer test and he would have known if those were sufficient.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

Here it's plain and simple. If we pull some magic and were to win tomorrow it will be unacceptable to lose to anyone else on the schedule other than Wyoming stAte and Troy and only because those are on the road. I won't listen to any of Withers excuses anymore if we play well enough to beat App but then turn around and lose to nmsu ulm ccu gsu or ull. It will then mean we have enough talent just not good enough coaching or competent playcall.

-Bill O'Brien

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:02 pm