MEET THE NEED: BOBCAT CLUB INCREASES MEMBERSHIP LEVELS 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post MEET THE NEED: BOBCAT CLUB INCREASES MEMBERSHIP LEVELS
http://txstatebobcatclub.com/news/2016/1/15/events_0115160037.aspx

The Texas State University Bobcat Club has experienced an unprecedented level of donor support for the student-athlete scholarship fund in recent years. 2015 marked the third straight year that members contributed over $1 million to student-athlete scholarships, and 2015 also marked our department's highest totals ever for both number of donors and dollars given. As Texas State has increased its profile in the state of Texas and beyond, our donors have increased their support of the Bobcat Club.

However, this rise in support has been outpaced by a dramatic rise in the cost of education resulting in increased challenges to provide our student-athletes with scholarship support.

In order to meet the financial challenges of increased education costs and the addition of Cost of Attendance this year, the Bobcat Club - after more than a year of research including survey results from current donors, interviews with other FBS level programs, and a conference-wide review of other programs' membership benefits - will adjust membership levels for the first time in five years with the 2016 giving year.

To demonstrate the need for support, the financial figures behind our student-athlete scholarship fund and the impact of these changes, the Bobcat Club has created a short, informative video.

Texas State supports 375 student-athletes competing in 16 sports. In order to meet the needs of their collegiate experience, we must have greater scholarship support. While support for the Bobcat Club has risen greatly in recent years, only 20% of student-athlete scholarships are covered by private donations. In 2015, our department's scholarship costs totaled $6.5 million. We raised $1.3 million. This $5.2 million gap between private funding and the cost to send our student-athletes to college means that the athletic department must pull resources from other areas of its budget to cover scholarships.
Adding to this financial challenge, the Texas State Athletic Department will offer Cost of Attendance to its student-athletes for the first time in 2016. This means, in addition to scholarships, student-athlete will receive further financial aid to assist with living expenses such as transportation, meals and lodging. This added financial aid represents a new $500,000 expenditure not previously budgeted by the athletic department.

In 2006, the cost to send our student-athletes to college was $2.4 million. In 2016, that cost will rise to $6.7 million. The addition of Cost of Attendance will mean that Texas State Athletics will spend beyond $7 million to fund the academic and athletic needs of its student-athletes this year. Simply put, as the cost of education continues to rise, so too does the need for financial support from supporters of Texas State Athletics.

Contrast the rising cost of education with the fact that over the same 10-year period, minimum donation requirements, for member benefits such as game day parking, actually went down in 2011 and have remained unchanged since that time. During that same time span, increased support of the Bobcat Club has also resulted in increased demand for membership benefits including game day parking and hospitality area access.

MEMBERSHIP LEVEL CHANGES

That is why, effective in 2016, the Bobcat Club will increase its giving levels for the first time in half a decade. While scholarship costs have gone up, our donation levels have not, leaving us at a disadvantage when compared to our peers both in the Sun Belt Conference and the state of Texas.

Donors from the Maroon to Platinum Levels will notice an increase to their minimum donation requirements. Previous giving levels, as well as highlighted changes, are listed on the following chart. Specific changes include:

Highlighted levels show minimum donation increases
Maroon will increase from a $200 to $300 minimum donation
Bronze will increase from a $500 to $600 minimum donation
Silver* will increase from a $750 to $1000 minimum donation
Gold* will increase from a $1000 to $1250 minimum donation
Diamond* will increase from a $2500 to $3000 minimum donation
Platinum* will increase from a $5000 to $6000 minimum donation
*will receive new donor benefit – Donor Concierge Service

Minimum donation levels for Student Bobcat Club members, as well as the Associate, All-Conference, All-American, Champion and Hall of Fame levels will remain unchanged. Likewise, per seat donation requirements for all Priority football season tickets and Champions Club season tickets will remain unchanged. However, donors may need to increase their giving in order to receive the same benefits they were eligible for last year.

A new donor benefit for Silver Level members and above will be included effective 2016. This membership benefit – a Donor Concierge Service – will provide donors with a personal point of contact within the Texas State Athletic Department for all needs and questions related to their experience as a Bobcat Club member including, but not limited to, online account questions, membership inquiries, hotel and preferred restaurant partner recommendations and upcoming events.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: MEET THE NEED: BOBCAT CLUB INCREASES MEMBERSHIP LEVELS
well that kinda sucks. doubling my donation will get me almost exactly what i got last year. was really looking forward to driving past the little prick who stands in the wrong place in the parking lot keeping me from parking in lot 2.

good problem for the program to have though.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

getting a good laugh at the comments today.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So, $750 is all it takes to have a donor concierge and a personal contact within the department? That's pretty sweet.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:35 pm
SuperCat

We all wanted a new coach... we got a good one, along with a good salary. That money had to come from somewhere. It came from the athletic department budget.

Now we all want better recruits. We all want a winning program. We all want a bowl game. We all want a conference championship. Do we step up and put our money where our mouths are, or do we just slink away and leave it up to someone else to pay for scholarships?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:05 pm
Junior Bobcat

Oh great, win 3 games and raise prices? Win some games and prove that the University is committed to the athletic programs before asking for more money.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Conroe Cat wrote:
Oh great, win 3 games and raise prices? Win some games and prove that the University is committed to the athletic programs before asking for more money.

In which sport or across the board? COA is kicking in, thus the need for more monies. Maybe the alcohol sales, if they go to FB also, will help with that but, right now, it is a need.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:07 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Conroe Cat wrote:

Bobcat Club covers the entire Dept Scholarship cost not just football.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

Conroe Cat wrote:

they didn't raise prices. tickets are still the same price. seat donation levels are still the same.

they have more donors now, with the same real estate to deal with (parking), so they have to adjust the levels to accommodate. this is always the goal w/ any organization soliciting donations - to get so many donors/dollars that they need to restructure the benefits.

this is a great thing to have happen. it will be even better when we've got so many donors that it takes $400 to get into lot 4, and then $500, and so on.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You know, I always assume it is parking lot driven... (the only part of the donation that I really use), so I just figured this meant the situation like Saul noted above happened.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:25 am
Junior Bobcat

I bumped myself to gold level with the blessing of the wife! Excited for the season!

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

I filled out the survey the Bobcat Club sent me and said I'll donate again and quadruple my donation the day Teis is gone.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:27 am
True Bobcat Fan

I have complained for years that the Bobcat Club never asks for more money when people renew. Now, they have gently asked everyone for more, in one simple act. I'm thrilled. I hope they repeat the message to everyone they talk to. I don't donate for the parking, although I definitely appreciate it. I donate to support the school. If I get priced out of certain benefits, it won't bother me a bit.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:03 am
SuperCat

Anybody heard from the bobcat club in the last week? Can't get anybody to answer an email, answer the phone, or return my calls. Got a promotion at work and already discussed bumping the donation from $250 to 1K with the wife. Not a lot of money so I'm sure they don't care but I am changing my mind quickly. Even big money schools like UT they answer emails.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT, I sent them a message on Twitter ( @TXSTbobcatclub) with your post. Not saying they will contact you, but nobody likes it when they drop the ball and it gets called out publicly, so hopefully it lights a fire under someone's backside. Hope it helps.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 pm