Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Question for the Posters that have been here forever 
SuperCat

Post Re: Question for the Posters that have been here forever
LT Spider wrote:
BobcatSideEye wrote:
LT Spider wrote:
The "it will always be SWT to me" crowd is the most pathetic group we have. I would rather be around UTSA t shirt fans in a walmart parking lot than around them.

I have a feeling you live in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Looks like we found one longing for the days of being a multi-directional school because it connects to their personal history more than the upward mobility of a major university.

Major university.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, wait, you're serious.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

are you under the impression that txst is not a major university?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:

How do you judge "major"?

Academically - I consider it to be a "major university" in this area.
# of Students - yep, got plenty of those.
Athletic Department - Hell no, we are not a "major university" in this area.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We would be big time if we just kept SWT as the name.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

SWT84 wrote:
Athletic Department - Hell no, we are not a "major university" in this area.

good thing that's not how universities are defined then, eh?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 pm
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:

When I mention my alma mater to people in other states, invariably they have only heard of it if they have seen Necessary Roughness.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:
When I mention my alma mater to people in other states, invariably they have only heard of it if they have seen Necessary Roughness.

the vast majority of americans have no clue if the california institute of technology is a top 10 university or an online money grab, if the university of chicago is a community college or can name the state of half the schools in the top 50 u in the country.

the mere notion that a 4yr university w/ almost 40k students and the degree offerings txst provides doesn't meet someone's bar for "major" is unfathomable to me.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 pm
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:
BobcatSideEye wrote:

the vast majority of americans have no clue if the california institute of technology is a top 10 university or an online money grab, if the university of chicago is a community college or can name the state of half the schools in the top 50 u in the country.

the mere notion that a 4yr university w/ almost 40k students and the degree offerings txst provides doesn't meet someone's bar for "major" is unfathomable to me.

You have your criteria, I have mine.

UCF is apparently the majorest university in America.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i guess...if you are only counting schools east of the mississippi.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

All kinds of articles use ASU and UCF interchangably as the #1 4 year non-online university in enrollment. My guess is some articles use just undergrad and some combine grad school. If you were to do a ratio of enrolled students to football stadium capacity then their ratio would be one the highest among all FBS schools. That sure does make it feel like a commuter school

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Somebody already did the analysis through the 2015 school year. Among the top schools where enrollments exceed stadium capacity are Texas State UNT and UCF. Most of the schools towards the top are located in major cities except for us because I would consider our campus as rural but then (subburban can also be argued). Only 16 FBS programs have enrollment larger than football capacity

If enrollment was a measure of FBS football prestige we would rank right around the top 20 of P5s. Now if a program was well run (and obviously Larry's is not) then enrollment should have a decent impact on football success. See Ohio St, Penn St, Wisc, FSU, Mich, Mich St, Bama, GA and Wash-- all schools around the size of our enrollment or bigger

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f5sTFI7WIO_iUKWpU94ZzRPggIqt3jTVxm1PldRFBHg/edit#gid=0

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not sure of the year this site first started, but I suspect I was one of the first UTSA folk to post here, if not the first. Since 2004...man, time flies!

One thing I can say is, of all the UTSA people who has posted (and often flamed) on Bobcatfans, I never once did that. Personally, I'm not into disrespecting other universities. Also, I have a brother and sister in law who are Texas State grads, so 'The Hill' is in our family. 8)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

runner-man wrote:
I'm not sure of the year this site first started, but I suspect I was one of the first UTSA folk to post here, if not the first. Since 2004...man, time flies!

One thing I can say is, of all the UTSA people who has posted (and often flamed) on Bobcatfans, I never once did that. Personally, I'm not into disrespecting other universities. Also, I have a brother and sister in law who are Texas State grads, so 'The Hill' is in our family. 8)

This site began sometime in late 1998 on a different ISP. The current site was a migration from the original that began in Sept 2003.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

runner-man wrote:

And that's why I like you. A rivalry can be had without the dragging down of the other university.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
Somebody already did the analysis through the 2015 school year. Among the top schools where enrollments exceed stadium capacity are Texas State UNT and UCF. Most of the schools towards the top are located in major cities except for us because I would consider our campus as rural but then (subburban can also be argued). Only 16 FBS programs have enrollment larger than football capacity

If enrollment was a measure of FBS football prestige we would rank right around the top 20 of P5s. Now if a program was well run (and obviously Larry's is not) then enrollment should have a decent impact on football success. See Ohio St, Penn St, Wisc, FSU, Mich, Mich St, Bama, GA and Wash-- all schools around the size of our enrollment or bigger

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f5sTFI7WIO_iUKWpU94ZzRPggIqt3jTVxm1PldRFBHg/edit#gid=0

that would mean we are the 27th largest university in fbs enrollment and something to the tune of 127th in fbs football ranking? tough to swallow

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:35 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next