App State 
True Bobcat Fan

Post App State
The game against App St will not be easy. They have finished at or near the top of the conference the last couple of years. They are 1-1 but have played teams at both extremes of talent, Georgia and Savannah St. Their offense is lead by a very good QB and a strong set of running backs. They seem to run a balanced offense of passing and running. Hopefully, the Bobcats run defense stays strong and the pass defense steps up.

Beating App in San Marcos seems like a tall order at this point but I would like to see the Bobcat offense improve this week.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: App State
My main goal is for the front 7 to continue to play well and force app st to beat us in the second half. Hopefully keeping a good team on the ropes long into the game will show our guys (and us fans) that we will be competitive with the middle and lower tier of our conference. Go out and show us that we still have more wins on the schedule, even if its not this game.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

When it comes to this game, its hoping the offense can improve (OL continue to get better and Withers noted only 4 times did OL not block correct person compared to over 10 vs. HBU), QB passing improves but more importantly that TEs show up. I'd expect it to be just as difficult as CU's defense.

The chemistry of the defense seems to be well ahead in front 7. I hope we are smart about Anyama's groin issue and sit him if needed. I'd like to have him for conference games all season and not just one.

Continued improvement is all we can ask for right now. Once the offense can start to click and execute on 3rd downs, we'll have a shot in some games.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

continue improvement on what appears to be a very good defense in the making

more diversity on 1st down

first 11 possessions we ran on 1st down
then a pass, a run, and a pass on 1st down
12 of the first 14 possessions we runs

second half
8 runs vs 4 passes on 1st down

hopefully this is just a reflection of the progression of a young offense line.
we'll see this Saturday
at some point, he is going to have to open up the offense

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
at some point, he is going to have to open up the offense

Agreed. Our offense against Colorado isn't what Withers wants to run I'm pretty sure. Did we go no huddle a single time the entire game? We ran a ball control offense, and tried to eat some clock to keep our defense fresh, and played the game just to keep it respectable. At least in the 2nd half.

Withers said he think this App team is just as talented as Colorado, if not more so. I'm curious if we're going to play to win the game or going to play simply to keep it close.

Anybody that was at the game get a look at how our receivers looked? You can't tell from TV, but we sure took a lot of coverage sacks against Colorado when we had adequate blocking from the OL. I'm wondering how much of that is contributed to Williams struggling on his reads and how much was our receivers' inability to get open against a good secondary. If our passing game doesn't step up, we're going to have a hard time winning this game. Very encouraged by our defense and ability to run the ball in early downs last week though.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Play to win? Putting our talent pool, depth and the back pocket freshman card aside I haven't seen Withers 'play to win' since the only FBS game he ended up lucking into winning with some great breaks and heavy flags. And in hindsight as it turns out Ohio is probably just decent at best. Their secondary isn't very good

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Game plan vs. CU was to keep the ball and run clock because we couldn't put defense on field as long as we did last year with SO MANY 3 and outs. I don't see a problem with this plan. It makes more sense than going less than 45 game seconds and punting. Our offense including QB is still a work in progress. There is a reason they brought in Kuhr to be OC and Mateos at OL. Why bring them in if you don't plan to utilize their abilities in run game?

I hope to see continued improvements in next 2 games but we'll have to see. If Morbley scores on that pass or Morbley doesn't get tackled on reverse, we could have been in that game going into halftime. It didn't happen and we move on to get better.

On defense, we still need to create more turnovers.

This article below also notes something about QB Williams... In spring practices, he was without King and Luna due to injuries so his time was with only Hays, Morbley, Watts, D. Johnson, and Hutch White. He hasn't regularly practiced with any of the freshmen so its no wonder the only guys to have catches by Williams are Morbley and Hays.

http://texasstate.247sports.com/Article/Week-3-Primer-Texas-State-107364933

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
If Morbley scores on that pass or Morbley doesn't get tackled on reverse, we could have been in that game going into halftime

yet pac12 commentator never thought of bringing that up when the scoreboard got out of hand. heck, he made that ludacris comment about 'how we would handle a crowd of 60-70K when we're used to home crowds of 10-15K'...the funny thing is their attendance was really only like 43K...their channel lost all such credability after that

Last edited by Bobbumman on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
If Morbley scores on that pass or Morbley doesn't get tackled on reverse, we could have been in that game going into halftime

That's correct, and that's what 14 points right there? Then add in where AD Taylor on the first drive should have taken the ball to the house with only daylight ahead of him... had a bad feeling that if he ran out of steam we would get 0 points and we did. So that's 21 points right there for us, then wipe off the special teams cluster f scoop n score and by your stetch of imagination that's what 30-24, but either way it's a loss. Def think we would have App feeling like they're on pens and needles @ home if that's how the CU game finished though

By far the biggest takeaway from the CU game is I think they could end up towards the bottom of P5 in offense (reminiscent of the FSU game where we made Golson look like Andrew Luck and then he was benched for most of the remaining 2015 season, or Ohio last season when we gave up 54 points and then they averaged just 23 points the rest of the season against FBS opponents) and I think we'll find that out really quick if App is able to run all over us

The only way we might win a few more games is to get turnovers in the opposing team's own territory. The play call and QB controversy may continue to prove that we are unable to score across the entire stretch of the field when we keep getting pinned deep in our own territory so forcing punts won't be enough. We'll need the other team to make mistakes and commit few mistakes ourselves

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 am
True Bobcat Fan

Gameday uniform for App. State

https://twitter.com/TXST_FootballEQ/sta ... 7325840385

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 am
True Bobcat Fan

think i'm most curious to see how appst travels..imo they should have traveled a lot better than they did to Troy with a lot at stake in that game. well,maybe more at stake for troy since their only loss was close one @ Clemson prior to that game. for troy (7-1) that game might have had NYE6 implications and yet there was still only 25k at the troy appst game

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

White helmets
Black jerseys
White Pants

Sounds yucky...

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Funeral Attire. . . . .

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
White helmets
Black jerseys
White Pants

Sounds yucky...

This was huge so I downsized it 75%. Color is a little off but you get the idea

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don't get why in September, we are wearing black? I'd rather be wearing the white jerseys at home.

And wearing black when our opponent's primary colors are black seems bad.

The white helmet? I hate it. Only like it when doing the "white out" game and we wear all white uniforms.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm