Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Advertising of football games 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Advertising of football games
We started the coversation about the advertisement of football games and instead of hijacking the other thread I thought I would start a new one.

Sherwood Gregory wrote:
I hope the University markets this game and we show up in force.

sweat64 wrote:
I know this is off topic but this has been something that is really bothering me. We do a HORRIBLE job of advertising. Somebody needs to get creative and think of something besides a back page ad in the star. I seriously think that I could run a better ad campaign during the regular season (I think they did a decent job preseason with The Drive.) I am one of the more involved students on campus AND one of the biggest football/sports fans and I had barely heard Cory Morrow was playing at the tailgate. THAT IS HUGE. This has been happening all season. They need to find a way to get kids back at the tailgate and there for back at the game and they've done a pretty good job getting two good popular bands this year. Problem is they seem to have an issue telling anybody they are showing up.

chrisattsu wrote:
In all honesty, I think they are trying but our students just don't care.

In Person Marketing --- The Athletic Department was out in full-force the week before the NWST game, but that did not improve attendance. ASG promoted the game by giving away "Pack Wacker" Tshirts for the Nicholls game. I guess we had better attendance, but the upper deck of the student side was still empty.

Print Marketing --- We could buy add space in the Statesman or Express News, but the demo that we are trying to target is the student body. That leaves the UStar and the SMDR. I am not sure how many students read the SMDR, but they write on the team and always let their readers know that there is a game the following weekend. As for the Star, anyone who read the UStar last week knew that we had a home game this weekend. The sports section featured news on football AND they had the giant add in Thursday's paper.

New Media --- There is information on the website about athletic events. They send out mass emails to all students, faculty, and staff regarding weekly athletic events. They have even tried to reach the students through their primary form of communication / entertainment by entering into the Myspace and Facebook realms. You can "Be a Fan" of Texas State athletics. They send messages to their friends, and post bulletins.

I saw the Cory Morrow flyers posted the Student Center the week before the event. Since SACA was heavily involved with this event, I think they could have done a better job of marketing this event.

I am not an apologist for the Athletic Department, but they are trying everything short of going to the Square to market for an event that is FREE for the students to attend AND they get to party before it begins.
[/quote]

Last edited by sweat64 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Advertising of football games
Some of my suggestions are. . .
1. Why do we get a full page ad on the last inside page of the star? Why not offer them a little more money for a smaller spot ON THE FRONT PAGE. Or get an insert. Patrick Rose had an insert in every paper and there were so many of them all over the place it was impossible to miss them. I still remember the shiner bock concert inserts that were taken out months ago. It works.

2. Do something different on campus. Posters don't work. At least they don't work very well. A while back someone put up billboard like things all over campus. They randomly sat all over campus. Just plywood that was painted. They said things like "addiction" or "sex" trying to get people to attend a particular discussion series. The things is PEOPLE SAW THEM. People read them. People talked about them. It worked.

3. Find a way to inform the casual student of how good we are doing. You don't know how many times I was asked yesterday "how'd we do?" I tell them we won big then the next question is "how are we doing this season" and I'd tell them well if we win next week we take the conference championship and go to the playoffs. A guy standing on the front row 45 yardline next to me asked yesterday "hey we are way out of the playoff race already right?" Students don't know. Get football players or cheerleaders or anybody out in the quad one day.

4. Facebook. Yes, we are using it but not to its full potential. We need to find a way to get invites out to the be a fan of Texas State football group. The only reason I found it is because I went and looked for it. If we could get a lot of people send out invites we could get a lot more. Also, why don't we advertise on facebook? It is insanely cheap and you can target a very specific audience. I have some friends who ran some of the local political campaigns and they said facebook ads worked great especially for the money.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Jody wrote:
Issue #1: Gestapo:cry: The cops are harassing the students and even the young alumns are getting harassed, Myself Included. I have been tailgating for 4 years and I can definitely tell a huge difference in UPD's actions. The student parking lot is not a police state but the UPD is treating it that way. So the students would rather sat at home at a place safe from Gustapo.

Issue 2: Late season bloomer. :P We were 2-3 at home until last night and even Angelo State wasn’t pretty. We got our butts handed to us by Southern Utah and attendance has been downhill from there. Attendance at SUU was solid but we didnt gel until the second half of the season. Also most kids don’t realize that we are 4-1 on the road.

Issue 3: The gap. :evil: The gap on the Student side is dumb. Its so big that 65% of the parking lot is not being used. Go back to it being its normal size, which was slightly larger than the bus stop pavillion. Between the gap and Gustapo we moved over to the Alum side.

Issue 4: 3 o'clock games. :shock: Unfortunately an early game hurts attendance. I don’t mind it but to the students it makes a difference. Go with what works 6 o'clock games next year.

At this point the Athletes and Coaches have stepped up their game and pulling their weight in the Drive. The students have stepped up by footing alot of the bill and some alum’s are stepping up. However, unless these issues are remedied the drive will be killed by poor football attendance. Either they are shooting themselves in the foot or it’s intentional.

Robert_W wrote:
I should probably start a new thread for this but I will add to this one instead...and may yet start a new thead.
There are many problems with attendance but here is one of the biggest I see. The community of San Marcos doesn't support the University in anything it does, including going to football, basketball, volleyball, softball and every other game played here. Why is that? Because for years (even back before I was in school) the leadership of San Marcos has viewed the University as its adversary rather than its partner. The leadership of this city has yet to realize that there wouldn't be a San Marcos were it not for Texas State University. San Marcos would be like Seguin, a dying small Texas town on an interstate highway not moving, not growing and not progressing. Councilman Chris Jones gets it but unfortunatly he is surrounded by a leadership that doesn't get it and he is only one vote. Until there is someone who can bring these two together the community will not support the University.
The city of Austin bends over backwards for UT, even though UT is not the biggest economic driver for Austin and Austin would still survive even if UT closed up and left.
I have never understood why this relationship is the way that it is. One reason I guess is that some students get drunk and act like idiots when they are off campus and that leaves a bad taste in a lot of people mouths (me included because there are a lot of stupid drunk students that live around me) and if I didn't already have a love for the University I might be one of the people who could care less about it.
So how to we solve this problem? We could start by the University reaching out to city leaders, trying to get them more involved with the University, show them that the University wants to be their partner is making San Marcos as a whole a better place to live and work. The students of the University already do great things (mostly unrecognized) for this community including Bobcat Build. It provides a workforce for many retail businesses including the outlet malls. It is the largest employer and the econmic driver for this city. It's time that the city leadership recognize that, embrace it and quit trying to fight it. In the next city council election I would encourage everyone in this city to question the candidates about their support for the University, their plan to make the University and city work together and their plan to get the citizens of San Marcos excited about supporting the University and it's activities and sporting events, and if they don't have good answers then kick them out and elect people that do.
Want an example....go to Bryan/College Station and see how a University and town work together. The University is the town and the town is the University. That's not the case here.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
Bobcat Stadium was the place to be yesterday!

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I hate to take credit for what someone else said,but you have it backwards about what I wrote and Chrisattsu wrote. it's Ok point was made.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I think I fixed it.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

8) NOPE!! students need to get of their arses,qiut making
lame arse excuses,take pride, and show up!!!!

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:09 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You can't fix something in one or two seasons that has been broke for 30 years, Students or Alumni.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

There are plenty of things that we don't do that need to be done as far as advertising. The Marketing and Promotions staff in the Athletic Department is absolutely ridiculous. Here are some things we should be looking at:

ON CAMPUS

-Jerseys on Thursdays: The football players should wear their jerseys to classes each Thursday to promote awareness of home and away games.

-Band in Quad: At least a small contingent from the Bobcat band, particularly the drumline, should make its presence loudly known on the Quad each Thursday prior to home games. Optimal times...right before 11:00 or 12:30 classes

-One day each week, the athletic department (and Bobcat student-athletes),perhaps with a selected sponsor, should have a booth on the Quad, promoting upcoming games for all sports. Bobcat merchandise could be available and giveaways for shooting hoops,
tossing a football through a tire, etc. should be provided.

-Through advance arrangements, Bobcat student-athletes should be sent to classrooms, especially large auditoriums, each week -- especially on Thursdays -- to make announcements encouraging support for a home game. Professors who would agree to make time for these brief announcements could be designated as "Bobcat Backers," and perhaps eligible for ticket discounts.

-"Date Night" for evening kickoffs in football season: Encourage and promote a special event at least once per season. Tradition-rich programs such as Ole Miss have male students wearing ties and khakis, women wearing dressesand heels. Yes, it's hot in San Marcos. It's also hot in Mississippi.

GAMEDAY

-For home football games, decorated vans with loudspeakers should cruise around prime student-living areas and even general residential areas of San Marcos, stirring up awareness and anticipation of the upcoming kickoff. Selected giveaways of Bobcat gear and souvenirs could be part of this.

-The drumline needs to make several regularly-scheduled appearances on campus
and at tailgating areas so as to become an anticipated tradition.

BASIC PROMOTIONS
-Sponsorship deals should arrange for food purveyors such as Mrs. Baird's, Wienerschnitzel,Freebirds, Center Point Station, etc. to be providing free food or special
deals ON SITE at Bobcat Stadium for all home football games.

-Do whatever it takes to market Bobcat merchandise at dozens of San Marcos stores, restaurants, convenience stores, etc. And outfitters like Academy should have Texas State gear available, at least in San Antonio and Austin.

-Texas State should have designated "Bobcat Backer" profs, visible by signage for their office doors, who are willing to provide a minute of class time each week to mention game times for home athletic contests and to host student-athletes who might be assigned to drop by and make that easy, 60-second announcement to enhance awareness.

-Students from the SMCISD should have price breaks for tickets to all home games of all sports.

Freshmen

-Orientation in summer should feature stops at the end zone complex and exposure to the Loud Crowd, the band/drumline, athletes and coaches.

-Student-athletes, especially football players, should help out in a highly-coordinated goodwill gesture/photo opportunity/community service activity each August by helping move freshmen and other new students into their on-campus living quarters. Season schedules, free Bobcat gear, etc. should be prominently featured.

-PAWS Preview should utilize a meet-and-great between freshmen/new students and all Bobcat student-athletes, with free soft drinks, hot dogs, pizza or ice cream served....perhaps by coaches, team captains and athletic department staffers.

-Bobcat Student-Athletes could be assigned as "Big Bobcat Brothers and Sisters" for small groups of incoming freshmen, with at least several meals or study breaks shared during each semester.

Misc

-Pancakes in the Quad (or dining hall)
At least once a year, coaches and athletes could make and serve pancakes before early classes.

-Basketball Midnight Madness
Promote it early and often in the fall semester. The opening of hoops practice -- for men and women -- should be a much-anticipated funfest. Buses from dorms and downtown should take fans to Strahan at 11:30 on the eve of fall practice, to get a midnight countdown for a short skills demonstration, perhaps a three-point shootout or dunk contest, etc. A corporate sponsor can provide soft drinks, energy drinks, coffee, pizza,
etc. Live music could kick off the celebration.

-Homecoming
This should be the biggest campus event of the year, as it is at so many universities. Let's mend relations with the alumni and feature an "SWT Throwback" Homecoming with featured events for current students all week, like Disco '70s dances, Return to the '80s, a night of'90s Grunge bands, etc. At the game, the Bobcats could wear old SWT helmet logos and a one-time commemorative jersey with SWT on the sleeves. These jerseys could later be auctioned for charity. One end zone could be painted "Texas State," the other "SWT." The University bookstore could make special shirts for the occasion. Possibilities for alumni mending and promotion are limitless.

-Utilize Sewell Park for Tailgating
No other university has a jewel like the San Marcos River. Sewell Park should be utilized for all home football AND basketball games with cookouts,live music, promotions, promotions and promotions.

=Tubing 'Till Kickoff
Work with the San Marcos Lions Club for September home games and get Bobcat fans to float the river with a deal ensuring that all tubes are returned one hour prior to kickoff and fans are transported by bus or river taxi to the stadium. Prizes of Bobcat gear and a free, catered tailgate party could be offered to the organization with the most people floating the river.

-Pros vs. Joes
Much like the popular TV segment, Texas State could encourage student support by letting intramural champs, etc. compete against Bobcats in events like 3-point shooting or other skills exhibitions with no danger of injury.

-Student-Athletes Talent Show
Put together a fun assembly for the student body, with players involved in singing, dancing, music, impressions, etc.

The problem with every single one of these is that they take work. Oh well

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

outstanding suggestions and yes it takes work, but your plan reflects not much expense!

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatProud wrote:
There are plenty of things that we don't do that need to be done as far as advertising. The Marketing and Promotions staff in the Athletic Department is absolutely ridiculous. Here are some things we should be looking at:

ON CAMPUS

-Jerseys on Thursdays: The football players should wear their jerseys to classes each Thursday to promote awareness of home and away games.

-Band in Quad: At least a small contingent from the Bobcat band, particularly the drumline, should make its presence loudly known on the Quad each Thursday prior to home games. Optimal times...right before 11:00 or 12:30 classes

-One day each week, the athletic department (and Bobcat student-athletes),perhaps with a selected sponsor, should have a booth on the Quad, promoting upcoming games for all sports. Bobcat merchandise could be available and giveaways for shooting hoops,
tossing a football through a tire, etc. should be provided.

-Through advance arrangements, Bobcat student-athletes should be sent to classrooms, especially large auditoriums, each week -- especially on Thursdays -- to make announcements encouraging support for a home game. Professors who would agree to make time for these brief announcements could be designated as "Bobcat Backers," and perhaps eligible for ticket discounts.

-"Date Night" for evening kickoffs in football season: Encourage and promote a special event at least once per season. Tradition-rich programs such as Ole Miss have male students wearing ties and khakis, women wearing dressesand heels. Yes, it's hot in San Marcos. It's also hot in Mississippi.

GAMEDAY

-For home football games, decorated vans with loudspeakers should cruise around prime student-living areas and even general residential areas of San Marcos, stirring up awareness and anticipation of the upcoming kickoff. Selected giveaways of Bobcat gear and souvenirs could be part of this.

-The drumline needs to make several regularly-scheduled appearances on campus
and at tailgating areas so as to become an anticipated tradition.

BASIC PROMOTIONS
-Sponsorship deals should arrange for food purveyors such as Mrs. Baird's, Wienerschnitzel,Freebirds, Center Point Station, etc. to be providing free food or special
deals ON SITE at Bobcat Stadium for all home football games.

-Do whatever it takes to market Bobcat merchandise at dozens of San Marcos stores, restaurants, convenience stores, etc. And outfitters like Academy should have Texas State gear available, at least in San Antonio and Austin.

-Texas State should have designated "Bobcat Backer" profs, visible by signage for their office doors, who are willing to provide a minute of class time each week to mention game times for home athletic contests and to host student-athletes who might be assigned to drop by and make that easy, 60-second announcement to enhance awareness.

-Students from the SMCISD should have price breaks for tickets to all home games of all sports.

Freshmen

-Orientation in summer should feature stops at the end zone complex and exposure to the Loud Crowd, the band/drumline, athletes and coaches.

-Student-athletes, especially football players, should help out in a highly-coordinated goodwill gesture/photo opportunity/community service activity each August by helping move freshmen and other new students into their on-campus living quarters. Season schedules, free Bobcat gear, etc. should be prominently featured.

-PAWS Preview should utilize a meet-and-great between freshmen/new students and all Bobcat student-athletes, with free soft drinks, hot dogs, pizza or ice cream served....perhaps by coaches, team captains and athletic department staffers.

-Bobcat Student-Athletes could be assigned as "Big Bobcat Brothers and Sisters" for small groups of incoming freshmen, with at least several meals or study breaks shared during each semester.

Misc

-Pancakes in the Quad (or dining hall)
At least once a year, coaches and athletes could make and serve pancakes before early classes.

-Basketball Midnight Madness
Promote it early and often in the fall semester. The opening of hoops practice -- for men and women -- should be a much-anticipated funfest. Buses from dorms and downtown should take fans to Strahan at 11:30 on the eve of fall practice, to get a midnight countdown for a short skills demonstration, perhaps a three-point shootout or dunk contest, etc. A corporate sponsor can provide soft drinks, energy drinks, coffee, pizza,
etc. Live music could kick off the celebration.

-Homecoming
This should be the biggest campus event of the year, as it is at so many universities. Let's mend relations with the alumni and feature an "SWT Throwback" Homecoming with featured events for current students all week, like Disco '70s dances, Return to the '80s, a night of'90s Grunge bands, etc. At the game, the Bobcats could wear old SWT helmet logos and a one-time commemorative jersey with SWT on the sleeves. These jerseys could later be auctioned for charity. One end zone could be painted "Texas State," the other "SWT." The University bookstore could make special shirts for the occasion. Possibilities for alumni mending and promotion are limitless.

-Utilize Sewell Park for Tailgating
No other university has a jewel like the San Marcos River. Sewell Park should be utilized for all home football AND basketball games with cookouts,live music, promotions, promotions and promotions.

=Tubing 'Till Kickoff
Work with the San Marcos Lions Club for September home games and get Bobcat fans to float the river with a deal ensuring that all tubes are returned one hour prior to kickoff and fans are transported by bus or river taxi to the stadium. Prizes of Bobcat gear and a free, catered tailgate party could be offered to the organization with the most people floating the river.

-Pros vs. Joes
Much like the popular TV segment, Texas State could encourage student support by letting intramural champs, etc. compete against Bobcats in events like 3-point shooting or other skills exhibitions with no danger of injury.

-Student-Athletes Talent Show
Put together a fun assembly for the student body, with players involved in singing, dancing, music, impressions, etc.

The problem with every single one of these is that they take work. Oh well

This should be emailed to LT. Many great suggestions, game day atmosphere and promotions are very poor.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

This list was made by a group of students. I believe it was taken to the Athletic Department where most if not all were shot down. So they had/have a copy of these and look what has come of it, nothing.

Same ol song and dance.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:50 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]