Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Basketball in the Statesman 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Basketball in the Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content ... temen.html

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE

Texas State Bobcats
By Bill Harrison

Friday, November 14, 2008

Scouting Texas State

Senior guard-forward Brandon Bush is the Bobcats' marquee returner, a second-team All-Southland Conference selection after averaging 14.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game last season. Coach Rudy Davalos said the success of his team will be tied to the Bobcats' point guards, 6-foot senior Corey Jefferson and 5-10 sophomore Ryan White.

Davalos said Jefferson (6.3 points, 3.8 assists) is more of a prototypical point guard, a "pass first and pass second" player who can make an open jumper when needed. White (7.3 points, 3.4 assists) is more of a scorer, who's as quick as "anybody in college basketball," Davalos said.

"Both of them can do all of it," the coach said. "When you have experience at that position, that's where you see change occur and progress occur — more than any other position."

The Bobcats have made steady improvement in conference play each season under Davalos, posting 4-12 and 6-10 league marks since the 1-15 final season of former coach Dennis Nutt.

Texas State lost just one starter and returns its top four scorers, led by the versatile 6-7 Bush, whom Davalos used to chide for not reaching his full potential. No longer.

"Brandon's gotten better every year," Davalos said. "If that trend continues, he's got a chance to be the best player in the league."

In the frontcourt, the Bobcats return four of their top five rebounders after Texas State ranked third in the country last season with 42.9 rebounds per game . Only one Bobcat, 6-10 center Ty Gough, stands taller than 6-8 on a team that has typically relied more on quickness than size .

Who's new, who's gone

Among the arrivals are freshman guards Tre Nichols (6-0), Roshun Jackson (6-6) and John Bowman (6-4) . Nichols played at Killeen High.

Another newcomer, 6-7 junior transfer Emmanuel Bidias a Mouté, has a familiar name in the college basketball ranks. His twin brother, Luc Richard Mbah a Mouté, started in three straight Final Fours for UCLA and was selected in the second round of this year's NBA draft by the Milwaukee Bucks.

The Bobcats lost one starter, guard Brandon Thomas, who was the team's fourth-leading scorer, averaging 7.2 points per game.

Good news, bad news

Last season, under Davalos' frenetic attack, the Bobcats averaged 83.6 points per game, the third most in Division I. However, the team ranked next to last, 327 out of 328 teams, in scoring defense, giving up 84.8 points . Bush said he expects a marked improvement in defense based on what he's seen so far in preseason drills.

"We communicate better," Bush said. "It's not just two or three people playing defense — it's the whole team. I feel a lot better at this point than I did last year. I'm having a whole lot more fun playing defense than I ever thought I would."

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Basketball in the Statesman
Rudy is no longer coaching.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:18 am
Site Admin

sontino wrote:
Rudy is no longer coaching.

Nice catch, you are correct the coach is Doug Davalos, Rudy's Son.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

Anyone know what time the game is in Hawaii today?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

I saw the SMDR had a preview in Wednesday's paper...

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/l ... 14720.html

Quote:
Setting the Bar High

It’s SLC title or bust for Texas State’s men cagers

By Tyler Mayforth
Sports Reporter
Brandon Bush had an opportunity to take back his bold prediction.

He didn’t want to — nor should he. The Texas State men’s basketball team has high expectations of itself this season.

“We will win the Southland Conference championship,” Bush, a 6-foot, 7-inch forward, said. “There’s no doubt in my mind. We have the talent. We have the experience. We have what we need, it’s just about us coming together as one.”

Judging by how far the Bobcats have come in the past few years, the optimism is encouraging. Four seasons ago, Texas State only had three wins. The Bobcats were at the bottom of the SLC, left in pieces by former head coach Dennis Nutt.

Once Doug Davalos was hired to take over, Texas State made its way from the bottom. The Bobcats tripled the win total in Davalos’ first year and then won 13 games last season.

“Last year we addressed that we weren’t good enough from the previous year,” Davalos said. “So we addressed the talent issue, by getting the six guys we brought in. We improved the talent this season, but more importantly, we have 10 experienced guys.”

I love the bravado from Bush, as well as the quote from Davalos later in the story:

Quote:
“I wasn’t hired to come in and do it in one year with the things we had to do academically and basketball wise. You just put things together and improve to the point where realistically, you can feel like it has a chance to contend for a championship. That’s where I believe we are in year three.”

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

APridg04 wrote:
Anyone know what time the game is in Hawaii today?

According to ESPN it's a 9 PM tip-off CST. Cal State Fullerton was 24-9 last year and their leading scorer is back this year, but it looks like they have only two returning players and the rest of the roster is all new. Still they shared the Big West conference regular season title and went to the NCAA tourney last year for the first time. Could be a tough one out of the gate, but hopefully our experience comes through!

Humble, that's me... Mr. Modesty. When it comes to humility, I'm the greatest.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

Don't know if KTSW is there, but if they're not, apparently you can pick up a radio feed from Cal State Fullerton tonight at http://www.fullertontitans.com

Also the audio of Sunday's game against San Francisco at 6:30 PM will be available at www.usfdons.com

Humble, that's me... Mr. Modesty. When it comes to humility, I'm the greatest.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:15 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]