Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wow...big news out of the SLC 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Wow...big news out of the SLC
Did the NCAA have to wait THIS long to tell the SLC?

Quote:
FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference has been notified by the NCAA that the league cannot award its 2008 championship to its reclassifying member Central Arkansas as planned, should the Bears finish the season in the top position of the league’s standings.

By awarding a championship to UCA, or any declaration or reference by the Southland that the institution is the conference champion, the NCAA will revoke the league’s automatic qualification (AQ) into the Division I Football Championship.

As a reclassifying NCAA member moving from Division II to I, Central Arkansas is in the midst of a four-year transition period that, among other things, prohibits its sports programs from participating in NCAA Championships. Once the university completes the transition, its programs are scheduled to have full NCAA DI Championships access beginning in the fall of 2010.

You can read the rest here... http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.db ... ID=1622460

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:44 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Wow...big news out of the SLC
Damn.. so they can't even be called the conference champs?? That's gotta suck for those guys, but it's good news for the bobcats! Who comes up with these rules anyways? And why?

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I never thought they would, honestly. I mean, technically they aren't members of the SLC yet, so they couldn't have the conference champ (even though they actually do desere it, in my opinion).

It would be like if an independent somehow managed to schedule all games against SLC teams and beat everyone... would they get the SLC title? Of course not, if you're not a member of the conference (a full member, at that) you can't win the title.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

If UCA finishes first...

I really hope the team that "wins" the conference championship does not get a banner or championship rings. It'd be a load of BS if they do and I'd say the same thing whether it Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Texas State or Nicholls State. All the same.

Get your big ole * ready for this year's "championship".

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:shock:

I guess that just means SFA and McNeese better beat them. I would hate to see them get robbed like that.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
If UCA finishes first...

I really hope the team that "wins" the conference championship does not get a banner or championship rings. It'd be a load of BS if they do and I'd say the same thing whether it Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Texas State or Nicholls State. All the same.

Get your big ole * ready for this year's "championship".

i agree. if the bobcats were to finish second to UCA (say they have the best record in the conference) it would be gay/embarrassing to accept the conference championship especially when you lost to a transition DII school. It would be one thing if it was a DI FBS team who dropped down but if you move up a division and you can win a conference championship you sure as hell deserve to get it hands down. to be a player and accept a ring you do not deserve would be a joke as well. if this is the case the team that finishes second to UCA if it so happens should hand their rings over.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I guess that also means if TXST or McNeese were to tie UCA then the title would not be shared.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Mad_Cat wrote:
I guess that also means if TXST or McNeese were to tie UCA then the title would not be shared.

Correct.

And cjswt05 -- 'post of the year' nominee right there. 8)

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm

I have just always hated the long transition between one division to another. I think it's just stupid. It has bitten a lot of FCS programs (like North Dakota State) in the past few years and UCA is the latest. Four years is FAR too long. Maybe two years but four is just stupid.... but that's the NCAA for you. Just get ready, we get to go through the same crap moving up, so even if we win 6 games a season in FBS we won't be going bowling for four freaking years.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:

Correct.

And cjswt05 -- 'post of the year' nominee right there. 8)

(waving both hands proudly) "thanks for the post that lead to mine TxTerror.. i could have not done this alone"

Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:00 pm
Junior Bobcat

Robert_W wrote:
I have just always hated the long transition between one division to another. I think it's just stupid. It has bitten a lot of FCS programs (like North Dakota State) in the past few years and UCA is the latest. Four years is FAR too long. Maybe two years but four is just stupid.... but that's the NCAA for you. Just get ready, we get to go through the same crap moving up, so even if we win 6 games a season in FBS we won't be going bowling for four freaking years.

I thought is was only a 2 year probation from FCS to FBS? They've probably changed that since last I heard though...

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The reason the time frame is so long is so they can judge and see if an institution can make the full requirements of Division I. If they weren't hard and long, quite a few schools would make the jump and the NCAA membership would be rocked. There's too much money at stake.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

**** my arse you know any administration that wins is going to run with the
SLC champs title and they are not going to put an *** by it.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 pm
Junior Bobcat

Quote:
if this is the case the team that finishes second to UCA if it so happens should hand their rings over.

and im sure you would willingly just give up your ring if you were on the team and this was the case?..... :shock:

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bears9999 wrote:
Quote:
if this is the case the team that finishes second to UCA if it so happens should hand their rings over.

and im sure you would willingly just give up your ring if you were on the team and this was the case?..... :shock:

Yes, I would......

I would have no issue with going to the playoffs though.

"The plaque for the #8 seed in Katy is down in the ladies room"

-IceMan

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:27 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next