Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Nicholls Game 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Nicholls Game
After reviewing all the conference stats, Nicholls is not close to the top in any categories. Last in 3rd down conversions, last in passing, passing defense is weak like ours, almost last in red zone scoring, etc. I get it that they're a running team, being second in the conference in rushing offense, but do you think they'll try to throw the ball at all against us? Sorry, I don't know much of the history of the games between us in years past. Do you just stack the line on them every freakin' play?

Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Nicholls Game
They will try and run the ball as much as they can. They are an option team- They were last year when they kicked our butt in Lousiana. If they pass it'll be play action. By and large they like to run the ball.I think our cornors will have their work cut out for them. opinion

Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:58 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The thing that bodes well for us is that they are a bad pass defense team and a running team. If we get on them early and put up say... 21 points in the first quarter, it will totally take them out of their game, and force them to try to do something they aren't good at: Pass.

It also helps that they are low ranked in red zone offense, because we are stout there.

But getting on top big early is really important, because if we don't, it will end up like another Northwestern, where they hang with us and wear down our defense in the 4th quarter.

At least, that's how I see it.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The Rev is spot on.
If the game is close late, we are in trouble. that means we don't have the beef up front to hang on defense. Fast linebackers and good safety support will be critical.
kicked out butt last year. We should have all the motivation we need.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

They do not pass the ball much, but they found themselves a playmaker in that Antonio Robinson at WR. They can throw different looks at you with Bunch or Montgomery. Both are very talented. And if they put LaDarius Webb in on offense, watch out!

RB corps is not as strong as it has been in the past. Webb is the all everything player. How is your special teams coverage? Webb is bound to get yardage. SHSU kicked away from him and gave the Colonels a VERY short field to work with. Worked out early because of Nicholls turnovers, but I do not think that was the best strategy.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:52 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm going to predict that Nicholls has some very lengthy passing plays against us. I hope I'm wrong. I'm having flashbacks of the Georgia Southern game in 2005, who was a 99% running team for the year, and had some huge TD's on long passing plays..

I hope I'm wrong.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:05 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If we stack the Box they will audible to PA pass. We need to have good assignment football and punish the QB. Just like an air raid offense the QB is the key to making the offense work force him to keep the ball take away his options and punish him all night. Wear him out and force him to make mistakes.

Triple option plays

Midline- Option to fullback in straight line over center or QB keep. Often the pitch man in motion is decoy.

Inside/ Outside Veer. Fullback again first option (inside or outside of tackle) QB second and Pitchman third. (true triple option)

Counter option- QB opens (spins) opposite of play to throw off fast flowing defense, This one can kill a team. We run it. Another version of the counter has fullback dive opposite of pitch motion. Or Motion man goes in motion only to quickly hook into pitch relationship with QB opposite of his original motion.

Play Action- when they see the secondary constantly playing run support (best way to stop Triple option) they will pass and it will be for big gains by design. If we get in the QBs face fast enough we might cause him to throw a few picks but our safeties will need to be looking out for the PA pass and pounce on the deep WR.

I like our odds this year. Our Defense is faster this year. Our ends are more like Hybrid LB's they will not give the QB time to make his reads. Our interior defensive line needs to shut down the Fullback and blow up any trap plays before they develop. If we can put the QB on an Island we can wear him out. Another Bonus is having multiple fronts. Bliel has really educated our defense in different schemes. I've read the best defense to shut down the triple is a 3-3 Stack because it throws off blocking assignments.

Paul Johnston is the master of the Option here is what he has to say about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSR3Y-yl ... re=related

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Spooney-Cat wrote:
After reviewing all the conference stats, Nicholls is not close to the top in any categories. Last in 3rd down conversions, last in passing, passing defense is weak like ours, almost last in red zone scoring, etc. I get it that they're a running team, being second in the conference in rushing offense, but do you think they'll try to throw the ball at all against us? Sorry, I don't know much of the history of the games between us in years past. Do you just stack the line on them every freakin' play?

They are in first place when it comes to making us look like chumps the last few years.

Learn to defend the option for a change. Yesh!

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Malleus wrote:
Spooney-Cat wrote:

They are in first place when it comes to making us look like chumps the last few years.

Learn to defend the option for a change. Yesh!

I hope having a New DC will fix that. Bliel is 0-0 against them.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I typed up this post yesterday, and when I hit post everything went crazy. I couldn’t log onto bobcatfans for the entire day and 5 different computers I tried? Site go down yesterday?

As others have stated, they are a team that does not throw the ball much. They posted 457 yards offensively on the Bobcats last year. 30 of those yards were through the air and the other 427 were on the ground! Their QB last year Vin Montgomery had 118 yds. on 18 carries. They won this game 52-28. Dominated.

They currently average 213 yds./game on the ground and 100 through the air for a total of 318 yds. per game. Their QB from last year, Montgomery, is in his senior year but is only averaging 27 yds a game on the ground (75-192). Through the air this year he is 12-32-5 with 299 yards and an average of 42.7 yds./game. They have another senior QB who started last week against SHSU who averages 53 yds./game on the ground and 57 yds./game through the air.

On defense, they do have an outstanding CB, All-American Lardarius Webb who has had 2 INT's this year (including one against Bomar last week). He is also a great kick returner and currently leads the SLC in that column, as well as the fumble recoveries column. He is 3rd in the SLC on pass defense and 19th in tackles. He is a 3 time SLC player of the week award (2 special teams, and 1 defensive POF) and is projected to be drafted in the 4th-5th round of the NFL Draft.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
I'm getting psyched about the Nicholls game...last home game?... temp is supposed to be high of 70 on Saturday...perfect football weather

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:53 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]