Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Article in Statesman 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Article in Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content ... state.html

TEXAS STATE

Bobcats offense moving quickly for big results
By Bill Harrison

AMERICAN-STATESMAN CORRESPONDENT

Friday, October 31, 2008

SAN MARCOS — Texas State's offense has a minor problem: it's turning over the ball too quickly. In this case, though, that's been great news for Bobcats fans.

Big plays and touchdowns have become the norm for Texas State in the past four games . The offense has flourished, punching the ball over the goal line 25 times in those games . The defense, meanwhile, has had to be ready to hustle back onto the field at the end of another quick-strike scoring drive.

This approach hasn't exactly matched what Texas State coach Brad Wright had in mind — a balanced, conventional offense with multiple looks based out of the I formation. His team's scoring output suddenly resembles that of a no-huddle, run-and-shoot team.

"It's hard to take points off the board and tell them to slow it down," Wright said jokingly. "I don't consider us a quick-strike offense. I consider us a ball-control offense."

When Wright took over as head coach last season, he and his assistants scrapped the shotgun, one-back system of former coach David Bailiff that catapulted the Bobcats into the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs in 2005 and brought them to the brink of the national championship game. Wright said he wanted an offense he could "believe in," and there's plenty of believers now on a team that has the top-ranked offense in the Football Championship Subdivision.

In their past four games, the Bobcats have averaged 48.5 points and 558.3 yards, sparking hope for another playoff run.

Texas State is tied for second place in the Southland Conference with this week's opponent, Northwestern State, and last week's opponent, Stephen F. Austin, which the Bobcats routed 62-21.

Texas State running back Karrington Bush said, "I'd hate to be the quarterback to figure out who to throw to or in the run game, who to give (the football) to."

Bush, a sophomore, leads the nation with an average of an eye-popping 9.9 yards per rush. Backups Stan Zwinggi and Alvin Canady averaging 5.5 and 4.5 yards per carry, respectively.

At receiver, Cameron Luke's 13 touchdown catches already have broken the single-season record of 12 he set in 11 games last year. He also set a Southland Conference career mark with 28 receptions for scores.

The emergence of two freshman receivers has boosted the depth of the Bobcats' offense. Hyperkinetic, 5-foot-7-inch, 160-pound Mishak Rivas — who's called "the chihuahua" by teammates — broke out against Stephen F. Austin, leading the team in receiving with 188 yards and two touchdowns. Daren Dillard, a 6-2 former high school quarterback with a knack for finding open space, is a leaper with good hands who has 15 catches for 236 yards and four scores.

Quarterback Bradley George is a former minor league pitcher who shook off an early-season slump that led to his benching. Against Stephen F. Austin, he set a school record with 418 yards passing.

Looking across the line of scrimmage, Texas State's defensive coordinator, Fred Bleil, said the flexible offensive schemes and gifted skill-position players of the Bobcats are daunting.

"Our offense spreads you out, our offense pulls you in tight, they run power, they run option — they can do lots of different things with the football," Bleil said. "They're good at taking what you give them. "

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:31 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Article in Statesman
Very good article. I can't wait to see the beatdown we put on NWST this weekend. (crossing fingers) :sombrero:

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:58 am
True Bobcat Fan

I love seeing this offense take the field and hope to see it first hand when I make the trek down to San Marcos this weekend. The last game I was at there the offense looked like it did not exist at all (against SUU).
:texasstate: :eatemup: :cat: :eatemup: :texasstate:

P.S. This weekend the Bobcats should let "the chihuahua" Rivas loose on the Demons D.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:10 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

thanks for the post.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:42 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]