Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Southland Notebook: Who saw this coming? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Southland Notebook: Who saw this coming?
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_ ... 24559.html

article above lists possible scenerios for the southland conference.

"So, should the Bears win the conference, the second-place team would get the Southland’s automatic bid to the playoffs. Now, if there is a tie between two schools, the winner of the head-to-head meeting would advance. If there is a three-way tie, then the school which has gone the longest without making the playoffs would move on if neither of the teams had the head-to-head advantage over the others.

In that scenario, if SFA, Texas State and Northwestern State remained tied at the end, the Lumberjacks would be the SLC’s representative in the playoffs since the Bobcats made it in 2005, and the Demons in 2004."

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Southland Notebook: Who saw this coming?
cjswt05 wrote:
if neither of the teams had the head-to-head advantage over the others.

Above is the key phrase.

I cannot emphasize this enough; Saturday is a MUST WIN!!! We need to own the tiebreakers.

"The plaque for the #8 seed in Katy is down in the ladies room"

-IceMan

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatjh wrote:
cjswt05 wrote:

Above is the key phrase.

I cannot emphasize this enough; Saturday is a MUST WIN!!! We need to own the tiebreakers.

I think you misunderstood (or maybe I did) the paragraph. If there is a two way tie, then it is head to head. If it's a threeway tie, then the farthest removed from a playoff berth gets it. Because, theoretically, in a three way tie, the tiebreaker could be circular. i.e., team a beat team b who beat team c who beat team a. So you can't send team a, because team c beat them and team c has the tiebreaker. Same goes for team b & c.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
bobcatjh wrote:
cjswt05 wrote:

Above is the key phrase.

I think you misunderstood (or maybe I did) the paragraph. If there is a two way tie, then it is head to head. If it's a threeway tie, then the farthest removed from a playoff berth gets it. Because, theoretically, in a three way tie, the tiebreaker could be circular. i.e., team a beat team b who beat team c who beat team a. So you can't send team a, because team c beat them and team c has the tiebreaker. Same goes for team b & c.

You are right in that scenario, but if there is a 3 way tie and we beat both teams head to head, we would get the autobid to the playoffs. Thats why we need this win badly.

"The plaque for the #8 seed in Katy is down in the ladies room"

-IceMan

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatjh wrote:
You are right in that scenario, but if there is a 3 way tie and we beat both teams head to head, we would get the autobid to the playoffs. Thats why we need this win badly.

I don't know if that's accurate or not. I was under the impression that if it's a three way tie, the FIRST tie breaker is not head to head, but rather farthest removed from the playoffs.

I could be WAY off though.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:14 pm
Junior Bobcat

Quote:
I don't know if that's accurate or not. I was under the impression that if it's a three way tie, the FIRST tie breaker is not head to head, but rather farthest removed from the playoffs.

I am under the same impression.....does this make ANY sense to anyone?.....seems to me that could piss A LOT of people off.....if a team runs the table against the other 2 teams, it should be theirs to take

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

i miss understood the article at first also.... basically, if there is a two way tie then who ever won head to head gets the autobid...... if there is a 3 way tie it goes the team who is farthest removed from the playoffs gets the autobid.... UNLESS one of the three teams beat the other two head to head.... make sense... i am not sure the accuracy of this article it is out of a huntstville paper...

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The first tie breaker is longest away from the playoffs. Even if we beat both head to head.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXSTman wrote:
The first tie breaker is longest away from the playoffs. Even if we beat both head to head.

incorrect see my explanation above.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

cjswt05 wrote:
TXSTman wrote:

incorrect see my explanation above.

I see what you're saying. Per the article, if the season ended with a team having tiebreaker over BOTH teams, then bammo, it's their autobid, otherwise it goes to farthest.

Now, whether the article is correct or not is another issue, but nothing they put in there made me go "what is this crap???" So, I believe him, yo.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

.... Still not as confusing as the BCS :mrgreen:

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:21 pm

Bottom line, if we win out and McNeese wins out we go because everyone will have at least two conference losses and we won the head to head with McNeese. If McNeese wins out with exception of Central Arkansas then we have second all alone because everyone but us would have two losses. So we just need to win every game and we are in without worrying about tie breakers.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Quote:
If there is a three-way tie, then the school which has gone the longest without making the playoffs would move on if neither of the teams had the head-to-head advantage over the others.

The way I read it is that the word IF is the key, it is just confusing because they worded it funny. The way I read it is that they are saying...

The team that has gone the longest without making the playoffs would move on IF none of the other involved teams have the head-to-head advantage.

So, if we beat McNeese but lose to Northwestern State and McNeese beats Northwestern State then we would all have 1 win and the tie breaker would be used. IF we beat them both then we have the tiebreaker and the longest playoff draught is irrelevant.

We actually went through all of this in 2004 when we thought that we had the tie breaker if there was a 3 way tie but if I recall correctly we found out later that playoff draught wasn't the first tie breaker like we had initially thought.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
Don't worry... the Gang won't let us down!

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

hahahaha. love it.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:24 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]