Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Tonight's Crowd Size? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Tonight's Crowd Size?
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
LCCat wrote:
11,561 was the attendance. Thank God most of them left before I took the Sac-N-Pac superkick.

That was YOU??? Man, you almost had it. A little too much air under it, but it was straight enough.

From our POV, I really thought you had it.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

CatMom wrote:
It never fails that I get blasted on this forum for having a contrary opinion. I do have a band background that I won't get into on this post, even if someome will ask me to prove it. I also have an extensive dancing background and at age 52 I can still dance (and do) close to what those gals did. No, I'm not 17 - 22 anymore, but I take it to the dance floor, given the chance.

I am sorry that some of you and/or your kids were offended by that. I would advise you to never take yourselves, or them, to a battle of the bands or a drum and bugle corps competition. Those bands are loud, musically sound and.... they dance. (heaven forbid) Southern was not off key, thank you. What they put on the field takes alot of time, practice and yes, talent.

I forget I'm in Texas where you expect excellence from you sports teams but accept merely decent from your band. They have nearly the same routine as last year (wasn't the LBJ tribute in 2007?) The Strutters fail to impress me. I take that back, they had 1 routine in 5 years that wowed me. For 5 years I have stated that my kids HS drill/dance team was far more entertaining than the Strutters and I'll stand by that. You can hit me all you want and I won't change my opinion there. (And don't get me started with the flag squad)

If I want a broadway play I'll go to New York. If I want to be entertained, I'll take Hollywood. I think we can agree that my idea/interpretation/vision of a really great marching band is different.

(Sitting back and waiting to be blasted yet again.)

I agree with you CatMom!! Even though I couldn't make it out to the game this year, I remember when TSU last came and played at Bobcat Stadium. The Ocean of Soul was by far the best part of that game (I seem to recall it wasn't much of one...), what with their half time performance, their drum line, and all the dancing in between. Sadly, the most memorable part of that nite was when the TSU drum line came over behind the TSU bench at halftime and started playing for all the TSU parents/Texas State students in that section. Of course they sounded great and were able to carry a note, but when the Texas State color guard (is that what they're called?? The students with the flags??) came over and started doing their version of a "booty dance", I was never more embarrassed of the school. The TSU drumline were good sports and kept playing, probably out of amusement at how bad our dancers were...

I think it shows you something that whenever the TSU band was playing, pretty much all the students on the light side were up on their feet (yes, Texas State students), clapping along, and just having an all around good time. Whenever the Texas State band was playing, I don't remember seeing many students too excited to hear what they were playing; let alone up on their feet clapping along.

Face the facts, the Ocean of Soul is better than the Texas State band. I remember I got blasted last time I mentioned this, but it's true. Maybe if this was back in the '60's or so, Texas State might have a more appropriate band, whatever that means. But now, TSU represents what bands are meant to be: Exciting, flashy, and entertaining; not a morbid, subdued, affair that Texas State seems content to put out.

I co-sign along with ya CatMom.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:57 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

CATMOM's right...their band is better...standing ovation should have been a clue for some of you. They also got a standing ovation the last time they were here. They are better than we are hands down....NEXT!

We have a good band, I've always enjoyed it and am proud of it...even if they DON'T wear our school colors. BUT...they are what they are...better than some, but never as good as the division I bands we aspire to be. I have truly heard high school bands that are better and more talented. Any of you who watch 5A football know that's true. We need to set our sights higher.

BTW, I couldn't hear our band during the game. Does that tell you something? It's college football. Isn't that the band's purpose? Raising the level for both the fan and player? I'd be suprised if Texas Southern could tell the difference home or away with their band so consistently loud. I couldn't hear ours and I doubt the players did either.

Attendance at kickoff looked like 5,000. 1,000 Texas Southern faithful. 1,000 Texas State students. You'll have to do the higher math to figure the rest out. THAT'S GOING TO LOOK SWEET in our new multideck'd stadium!!! Whoooohoooo!!!!!

Good DII win 'Cats! Bring on McNeese!!!

Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:23 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXST wrote:
Ok, I knew someone was going to "drink the koolaid" on the Ocean of Soul.

Are they loud? Yes
Are they fun to watch? Yes
Can they all dance a good jig? Yes
But are they good (musically)? Absolutely Not
Would such a band be a good representation of Tx State? No

Your comment that they made our band look like middle school is offensive to me. If simply blasting your horn to be loud, banging the drums to be loud, and a "ghetto booty sex jam" dance all over the field is your idea of what collegiate musicians are supposed to be, then I suggest you take a closer look at the well balanced, highly trained and practiced, and professional looking band, and strutters (don't forget them) that we're LUCKY to have representing our school.

Don't get me wrong, The Ocean of Soul is lots of fun to watch (I was up clapping and smiling as they performed also) but that doesn't make them *better* than what we do. In fact, It reminds me of what I'm glad that we DON'T do.

So, I'll take our 'middle school' band anytime.

I think it's just a difference of interpretation of what "good" is. I think most will say that a marching band at halftime should be entertaining first, and everything else secondary.

In that regard, the TSU band is better than the Bobcat Band. Now, I have VERY LITTLE doubt that if both bands went to a competition that was scored on the music, as well as the presentation, our band would come out on top.

But this is halftime at a football game. No contest.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:48 pm
Site Admin

Their band is most certainly entertaining. But are the better musically? Absolutely not.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

CatMom wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
LCCat wrote:
11,561 was the attendance. Thank God most of them left before I took the Sac-N-Pac superkick.

That was YOU??? Man, you almost had it. A little too much air under it, but it was straight enough.

From our POV, I really thought you had it.

I was concerned about the wind last night. It was blowing so hard that I made Dre (the marketing guy who walked out there with me) hold the ball on the tee. Right as I went to take the kick, the wind died and I missed left by about 3 feet. It barely had the distance but I took the wind into too much consideration which is why I yanked it left. I think if the wind had been blowing it would have either been barely good inside the left up right or I would have hit the left upright. Oh well. For those who laugh at the people who shank these kicks (I'm one of them), it really is tougher than you think. Having most of the stadium's eyes on you gives you a ton of nerves.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:29 pm
Site Admin

I did the sac-n-pac kick back in '06 and missed like 6 inches to the right. I was pissed!

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
Casey wrote:
I did the sac-n-pac kick back in '06 and missed like 6 inches to the right. I was pissed!

Why were you pissed? You ALMOST made it... that's a moral victory!!

Just kidding....just kidding...now calm down

Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Someone in the LC was going to pay me $80 if I pulled a Charlie Brown on the field. I'm talkin about the complete miss and landing on the back...probably should have done it. I might have become a Texas State legend for that!

Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You know your football team sucks ass when there's more posts about the f-ing bands.

Really, the band's only there because with artificial turf, we can't just watch the grass grow for 15 minutes.

No.
One.
With.
A.
Good.
Football.
Team.
Gives.
A.
Shit.
About.
The.
Band.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

For those that say our band is "better" than the Ocean of Soul, one question (and I'll use last night's numbers to illustrate this).

When, if ever, was the last time approximately 40% of the crowd came to the game just to see the Bobcat band? If there were 11,000 (+/-) at kickoff and after half there were 7,000 (+/-) and several have posted that many people came just to see the Ocean of Soul perform - that just reaffirms the statements that the Ocean of Soul is better.

My definition (and the world's definition) of who is better in anything depends on the quantified popularity. The "better" you are the more popular you will become.

I grew up in a lilly-white, no rythym, old lady, "techincally correct" high school band setting. Yeah they were musically great but entertainment wise - they sucked!

When we would play some of the largely minority high schools, our crowd, kids and band members would be in awe and cheer them on.

Therefore - they win the band competition.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm sorry but Texas Southern coming to Texas State needs to stop. It's true that all anyone cares about is TSU's band because we don't see "entertainment" like that here every weekend. I don't see TSU's band as entertaining. I agree with an earlier post that you could probably go see that kind of dancing for $1 at a strip club. It annoys the hell out of me to turn around and see Texas State students dancing along to TSU's band and then running to the concession stands because our band is on the field. If you want to see their band so much then go and attend TSU! Either that or watch "Drumline". You get the same "entertainment value". I know beating the crap out of TSU's football team and yelling at Bobby Reid is fun but bringing TSU to our house has to stop.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LCCat wrote:
I'm sorry but Texas Southern coming to Texas State needs to stop. It's true that all anyone cares about is TSU's band because we don't see "entertainment" like that here every weekend. I don't see TSU's band as entertaining. I agree with an earlier post that you could probably go see that kind of dancing for $1 at a strip club. It annoys the hell out of me to turn around and see Texas State students dancing along to TSU's band and then running to the concession stands because our band is on the field. If you want to see their band so much then go and attend TSU! Either that or watch "Drumline". You get the same "entertainment value". I know beating the crap out of TSU's football team and yelling at Bobby Reid is fun but bringing TSU to our house has to stop.

So, you're saying that we should stop playing Texas Southern at Bobcat stadium because their band is more entertaining?

Interesting position.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
I think it's just a difference of interpretation of what "good" is.

Thanks Rev...that's all I was really trying to say. It's a style question. They are really good at being a loud, party, dance band. We are a really good musicians band.

Both good...just different.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This is the second year of what appears to be a three-year deal between the Bobcats and Tigers.

I don't see why you stop letting them come. It's an FCS foe at home. Probably not costing much. TSU probably will travel better than most of the SLC (though their fans are reporting they got in for FREE due to the athletic department giving away tickets adjacent to the booth). And 99.9% time, it's going to be a win with the current state of things...

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:59 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next