Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Tonight's Crowd Size? 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Tonight's Crowd Size?
Guys,

For anyone that was there, guesstimate the actual attendance for tonight's game. I've read 3 or 4 posts that indicate it was an extremely small crowd.

Let's not give an inflated figure as the athletic department likes to state, we've all had enough smoke blown up our asses by them already.............

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Tonight's Crowd Size?
i would say around 10,000 to 11,000

after 1/2 I would say 7,000

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The upper deck of the student side "scattered" to say the most. It got slightly fuller during the first half, but by the fourth it was empty again.

Dark side looked reasonable until late in the 4th.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Did TSU bring their band?

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTman wrote:
Did TSU bring their band?

Yes.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Did they get to perform? Or did they get stuck in the stands to stay?

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Did they ever. Made our band look like middle school. They were awesome and practically worth the ticket price. Aside from partying, I think alot of the fans (that boogied) stayed just to see their band and left after that.

Comparitively, for the auxilary personnel, the only thing we had better was Boko and our flag guy. (he was a bit tired by that last TD)

I'm bad at numbers - I was going to say about 9,000.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

11,561 was the attendance. Thank God most of them left before I took the Sac-N-Pac superkick.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

CatMom wrote:
Did they ever. Made our band look like middle school. They were awesome and practically worth the ticket price. Aside from partying, I think alot of the fans (that boogied) stayed just to see their band and left after that.

Ok, I knew someone was going to "drink the koolaid" on the Ocean of Soul.

Are they loud? Yes
Are they fun to watch? Yes
Can they all dance a good jig? Yes
But are they good (musically)? Absolutely Not
Would such a band be a good representation of Tx State? No

Your comment that they made our band look like middle school is offensive to me. If simply blasting your horn to be loud, banging the drums to be loud, and a "ghetto booty sex jam" dance all over the field is your idea of what collegiate musicians are supposed to be, then I suggest you take a closer look at the well balanced, highly trained and practiced, and professional looking band, and strutters (don't forget them) that we're LUCKY to have representing our school.

Don't get me wrong, The Ocean of Soul is lots of fun to watch (I was up clapping and smiling as they performed also) but that doesn't make them *better* than what we do. In fact, It reminds me of what I'm glad that we DON'T do.

So, I'll take our 'middle school' band anytime.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:07 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXST wrote:
CatMom wrote:

Ok, I knew someone was going to "drink the koolaid" on the Ocean of Soul.

Are they loud? Yes
Are they fun to watch? Yes
Can they all dance a good jig? Yes
But are they good (musically)? Absolutely Not
Would such a band be a good representation of Tx State? No

Your comment that they made our band look like middle school is offensive to me. If simply blasting your horn to be loud, banging the drums to be loud, and a "ghetto booty sex jam" dance all over the field is your idea of what collegiate musicians are supposed to be, then I suggest you take a closer look at the well balanced, highly trained and practiced, and professional looking band, and strutters (don't forget them) that we're LUCKY to have representing our school.

Don't get me wrong, The Ocean of Soul is lots of fun to watch (I was up clapping and smiling as they performed also) but that doesn't make them *better* than what we do. In fact, It reminds me of what I'm glad that we DON'T do.

So, I'll take our 'middle school' band anytime.

Agreed. I would say that the majority of the time the TSU band was playing, their upper brass members were over blowing and at times it can become hard to listen to. Their show is always fun to watch. But they are not better. I have to agree with TXST and take our "Middle School" band over the Ocean of Soul everytime.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

A TSU fan is reporting on their board, "Tx State officials were giving away tickets next to the ticket booth. Everyone who came with me received free tickets - I wonder how many different people they did this with." :shock:

Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:58 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

On TV, they kept going to the cheerleaders who were doing dances that normally I have to pay at least $1 to see that kind of dance. The only difference is they never took off their clothes.

Their band may be good, but its embarrasing when my kids are watching this kind of dancing on tv, and I have to distract their attention to other things.

Our band is LOUD, ENTERTAINING, AND CLASSY!! I really enjoy our band along with the kiddos. Our band represents very well at a collegiate level. Kudos to OUR BAND.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:04 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Our band and the strutters looked great- What is this Middle school crap? them's fighting words.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:54 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LCCat wrote:
11,561 was the attendance. Thank God most of them left before I took the Sac-N-Pac superkick.

That was YOU??? Man, you almost had it. A little too much air under it, but it was straight enough.

:texasstate: :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It never fails that I get blasted on this forum for having a contrary opinion. I do have a band background that I won't get into on this post, even if someome will ask me to prove it. I also have an extensive dancing background and at age 52 I can still dance (and do) close to what those gals did. No, I'm not 17 - 22 anymore, but I take it to the dance floor, given the chance.

I am sorry that some of you and/or your kids were offended by that. I would advise you to never take yourselves, or them, to a battle of the bands or a drum and bugle corps competition. Those bands are loud, musically sound and.... they dance. (heaven forbid) Southern was not off key, thank you. What they put on the field takes alot of time, practice and yes, talent.

I forget I'm in Texas where you expect excellence from you sports teams but accept merely decent from your band. They have nearly the same routine as last year (wasn't the LBJ tribute in 2007?) The Strutters fail to impress me. I take that back, they had 1 routine in 5 years that wowed me. For 5 years I have stated that my kids HS drill/dance team was far more entertaining than the Strutters and I'll stand by that. You can hit me all you want and I won't change my opinion there. (And don't get me started with the flag squad)

If I want a broadway play I'll go to New York. If I want to be entertained, I'll take Hollywood. I think we can agree that my idea/interpretation/vision of a really great marching band is different.

(Sitting back and waiting to be blasted yet again.)

Last edited by CatMom on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:22 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next