Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Question for you guys 

Would you give up your 2005 playoff run for a single bowl game instead?
Yes 42%  42%  [ 18 ]
No 58%  58%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 43

Question for you guys 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm all for going D1-A but the playoff system in D1-AA kills the FBS in D1-A. I would not give the 2005 playoff run for any bowl game. I can't express the emotions, fun, excitement I had during that time. The camaraderie that came over Texas State during that alone was amazing. The yelling "TEXAS" on the alumni side and "STATE" on the student side. Cheering as loud as I (we) could at each football game wishing for another win just so we could watch another week of Texas State football.
That was a memorable time.
I will forever be a supporter of Texas State football!

Eat 'em up cats!
CJ 2005

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Better players?
O E Fowler III wrote:
Are you kidding me, look at South Florida. They didn't have a freakin football team 10 years ago. San Marcos is a very attractive campus in all aspects. The only thing holding us back is the D1 AA hanging over our football program. Build it and they will come,trust me.

yeah its that simple. :roll:

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
Well, for those that are voting "NO", then are you not supporting the move to I-A? That's what your vote is saying - bottom line.

Here's another way to look at it, with those three playoff games, we were on TV three times - but with a bowl game it's only once. We're not going to receive any coverage for TV as a I-A program due to the massive blowouts we will be facing for the first couple of years (remember guys, we can't even succesfully compete at the I-AA level).

Now flip side of that is that one bowl game (say 5-6 years down the line at least) might be on National TV - but if we don't start recruiting some better athletes we may be spotlighted on national TV more before that bowl games for disaster blowouts (see New Mexico game in 2003). And that program hasn't won a bowl game since 1961!

North Texas played in a couple of NO Bowls...however I never watched them. Where did those bowl appearances get them now? That bowl seemed to always be a poor matchup between 6-5 and 5-5-1 teams. The earlier the bowl, the less it matters... and the NO Bowl plays about the same time as the Toilet Bowl. What happened to their (UNT) "string" of winning years? Just goes to show...a team can be D1A/FBS & make "bowl" appearances and still not get recognition or be able to continue winning or maintain attendance. Thoughts?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The basic bottom line in regards to bowls are that if you aren't playing really close to Christmas/New Years, the bowls are going to (for the most part) go unwatched, and recognition will be decreased.

Also, with a university that has a really bad case of apathy like we do (and we do, don't kid yourself. With a student population greater than 27,000 if only 50% of the student body showed up for games, we'd be selling out week in and week out*), traveling to a bowl game is just not going to be a huge priority. Heck, as it stands, getting people to go to games in San Marcos is a chore.

Naturally, this all can be remedied (in theory) by winning.

Summary: Do I think that a move to I-A will cure our apathy? No, but winning will. At any level.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm not quite sure how I feel about all of this yet.

I will say this..........conference affliliation is absolutely critical. We're better off in the Southland than the Sunbelt. I'm just not sure yet about this whole thing.

I've heard comment that 4-5 years is plenty of time to get this going.
No. It's not THAT much time considering where we're at right now.
We're not even REMOTELY close.

I just have a feeling that there will be some things done, but the admin. will jump on the first thing that comes our way just to appease.

I just know this University. I don't think we're ready.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well, for those that are voting "NO", then are you not supporting the move to I-A? That's what your vote is saying - bottom line.

See, thats the whole thing. By wanting to move to the current FBS system now...folks are basically saying they would rather have a bowl game than playoffs.

To me, that is unacceptable and I would never support SHSU doing it.

Now maybe eventually there will be a playoff system that isn't dominated by the top tier BCS teams that will be worth moving up to...but that isn't now.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:17 am
True Bobcat Fan

I second the Rev. Winning consistently will get you the recognition and the "repetition".

Look at little St. John's University in Collegeville, MN. Compare the number of times they've been written about in Sports Illustrated over the last xx years, versus TSU's appearances in the same magazine.

Coach "Gags" is winningest coach in college football history, and he does it by saying "No".

http://www.gojohnnies.com/football/othe ... -no-pc.pdf

By the way, if he needs money for his program, the St. John's administration does NOT say no. If you go to their web site, their stadium might not look like much, but when you count all the people standing around the whole field, they regularly outdraw TSU.

I've seen D1 caliber players pass up the big time just to play in his program.

Like somebody said, "Win and they will come"

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:29 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I was there during the playoffs and had an amazing time. I loved every minute about it, but that's because I had the ability to get there.

Quote:
D2 / Tarleton Side Post (but still relevant)
Tarleton has a successful basketball team. At the end of the regular season, the conference's top school gets to host the conference tourney. This is great for the home team when it is clear who the winner is going to be.

However, as a fan who has to travel to get to the game, I have witnessed the top spot change during the last week of the season, and the tournament ends up far flung from Stephenville. My hotel reservations are useless, and hypothetically, I would have wasted money if I had needed to buy a plane ticket.

This year, they have moved the championship to a neutral site. I was unhappy at first (because the drive is farther away), but I then realized that come March the game will be in Bartlesville. I can buy my plane ticket and reserve my hotel as soon as Tarleton is guaranteed a spot.
[/D2]

This same theory holds true for Bobcat football. Suppose we had alumni from Florida, Hawaii, or points else where who wanted to see the playoff game. For each round, they only have 1 week to buy a ticket, plan a trip, schedule off work, and book a hotel. Then if we win, they have to do it all over again. Meanwhile, Bowl games are set in stone and far enough away to make planning the trip more manageable.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

Would we give up the euphoria and excitement of that playoff run...not a chance. Fluke or not, its part of our football history and a great memory. Although I would prefer to stay in this division and win consistently, Texas State University is constantly evolving for the better and I think that we have no choice but to move up to the highest level of football.

I really dont care if we are FCS and have 30,000 students. My preference is that all of our programs are competitive and have winning records at the end of the season. That said. I know that there is a stigma of being a large school and playing what most think of as small college ball. The University owes it to its growing number of students to try and raise the funds and give it a go in the FBS. We wont be a Texas or A/M. But, we are a very large and traditional university (as opposed to the 2 other large commuter schools in the SLC) and that seems to be the direction that our current students want to go.

It would be nice to see a Texas conference of FBS schools--outside of the big 12 of course. It makes financial and competitive sense. Lets hope that some of the stubborn universities in the state (SMU, Rice, U/H, UNT, UTEP) will clue into this before we make the move.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Although I would prefer to stay in this division and win consistently

I agree with the bolded part.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:23 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatalum05 wrote:
Would I give up the 2005 playoff run for 1 bowl game? No

But I would give up a playoff run to have a FBS football team that plays a FBS schedule.

Every day of the year you are a FBS program. Thats the difference.

Valid point. However, my counter:

When looking back on the 2005 season...what comes to mind first...the playoffs or the almost win over Texas A&M?

And if we beat A&M that year, what would most people outside of the SLC remember? The playoff run, or a victory over A&M?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

a combination of both. They would know that we beat atm and that was the same year we went into the playoffs.

Of course the answer might actually be neither. Appy St.'s victory over Michigan seems like ancient history now and if you ask anyone who doesn't regularly follow fcs sports about them they would likely not even know that they are in the playoffs.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:10 pm
Site Admin

People mention the A&M game from 2005 to me, not the playoff run or the knee. They say "Y'all should have beat A&M" much more often than "Why did your coach make such an idiot call?"

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

And if we beat A&M that year, what would most people outside of the SLC remember? The playoff run, or a victory over A&M?

The win over A&M.

But...what matters more to you...what others think about your athletics or you experiencing what it is?

Is it more important to you that people know of Texas State when they see it in a bowl game...or that your rushing your field after winning in the playoffs and about to go to the national championship?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:48 pm

If we could play in a bowl game against a traditional power like Michigan or Texas or Ohio State or USC then I would take the bowl game, but luckily I don't have to make that choice because we have had the playoff run, actually I have been through four of them now, and I can look forward to going to bowls in the future now that we are moving up. So there you go, the best of both worlds.
As far as the exposure, considering how they are treating the current playoffs we could get far more exposure from playing in a FBS bowl game (even the New Orleans Bowl) than we would being in the playoffs.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next