Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Question for you guys 

Would you give up your 2005 playoff run for a single bowl game instead?
Yes 42%  42%  [ 18 ]
No 58%  58%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 43

Question for you guys 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Question for you guys

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

NO FREAKING WAY!!! I really don't get the fascination with playing in some loser bowl.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If it was a BCS bowl (no, it doesn't have to be the NC)...then hell yes.

And yes, it's possible...see...Utah....Boise...and prolly Hawaii this year...

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:16 pm
Site Admin

Would I give up the 2005 playoff run for 1 bowl game? No

But I would give up a playoff run to have a FBS football team that plays a FBS schedule.

Every day of the year you are a FBS program. Thats the difference.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:32 pm
Site Admin

As much as I loved the experience of the I-AA playoff run in 2005, you have to consider what being in a bowl game or (potential) I-A playoff could bring to a University as far as exposure.

I somehow doubt that we'd see 3 ESPN2 games ever again if even Appalachian State can't get one.

More and more I see 2005 as a fluke. I have this feeling that I-AA just isn't the right place for Texas State. We have been unsuccessful since moving up in 1984, but our athletics program has been the only constant (stagnant) entity at our University.

In 1981 and 1982, we won D-II championships as a University with no admissions standards, great D-II players, and good players that couldn't get into I-A schools nearby (Houston, SMU, etc.)

Since 1984, we have steadily increased our academic standards, so that today, we are the third most selective public University in Texas. We can no longer accept the non-D1 qualifiers that we could accept as a D-II school, so those kids end up in D-II. We can no longer accept those D1 qualifiers that don't meet our increased academic standards, so those kids end up at D-II and D-I-AA schools that don't have the standards we do (SFA, SAM, McNeese, etc.). The kids we can accept are also the quality athletes that end up with I-A schools, or are great kids with character and book smarts, but aren't the best athletes in their class.

Therefore, I believe that the best environment for Texas State to thrive is in I-A. We have a beautiful campus in a beautiful city. We are a great academic institution and getting better every year. But, being I-AA, we don't have the following or facilities to attract those smart AND athletic kids. Sure, we get one here or there and steal them away from a big time program (Karrington Bush), or we get a I-A transfer that turns out great (Barrick Nealy, Cameron Luke). But, these are a rare treat, and can't be counted on to happen every year.

If we were I-A, we'd be able to attract, sign, and retain those athletes that today end up with schools like Houston, UTEP, SMU, or even Baylor.

I believe that being I-A with better facilities, increasing support, and more promise of TV coverage will bring those athletes here, and having those athletes at Texas State will bring a WINNING program to San Marcos.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

But I would give up a playoff run to have a FBS football team that plays a FBS schedule.

Valid point. However, my counter:

When looking back on the 2005 season...what comes to mind first...the playoffs or the almost win over Texas A&M?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:57 pm
Site Admin

bobcatalum05 wrote:

Valid point. However, my counter:

When looking back on the 2005 season...what comes to mind first...the playoffs or the almost win over Texas A&M?

Nice point but I would still rather have a FBS football team and play in a better conference. That was only one game and I still had to think about it, now if we would have one that game I might choose beating A&M.

You guys are not what is wrong with the conference, you are the closest thing to a peer in the conference. The rest of the crowd......Not so much.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Question for you guys
patssle wrote:

not a chance. i also personally wouldn't give up the 2005 playoff run for a string of loser bowls.

as for FBS potentially giving us more exposure, that's not part of my calculation. i go to the games to be entertained, and the 2005 season was probably the most fun i've had with my clothes on. if attending a school with a nationally recognized I-A football program was that important to me, i would have gone to one.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

You guys are not what is wrong with the conference, you are the closest thing to a peer in the conference. The rest of the crowd......Not so much.

I agree. I wish we could cut the Lousiana schools from the SLC...and get UNT, TAMUCC, and Lamar to start football. They are just so underfunded over there its crazy.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well, for those that are voting "NO", then are you not supporting the move to I-A? That's what your vote is saying - bottom line.

Here's another way to look at it, with those three playoff games, we were on TV three times - but with a bowl game it's only once. We're not going to receive any coverage for TV as a I-A program due to the massive blowouts we will be facing for the first couple of years (remember guys, we can't even succesfully compete at the I-AA level).

Now flip side of that is that one bowl game (say 5-6 years down the line at least) might be on National TV - but if we don't start recruiting some better athletes we may be spotlighted on national TV more before that bowl games for disaster blowouts (see New Mexico game in 2003). And that program hasn't won a bowl game since 1961!

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Better players?
Are you kidding me, look at South Florida. They didn't have a freakin football team 10 years ago. San Marcos is a very attractive campus in all aspects. The only thing holding us back is the D1 AA hanging over our football program. Build it and they will come,trust me.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:26 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next