Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Feeling Wright? or just a little better? 

Do we like our coach again?
I like coach. 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Still suspect, need to win out. 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Still suspect, need to beat one, prefer shsu. 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Still suspect, gets another season. 32%  32%  [ 13 ]
Not the man to take us where we need to go. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 41

Feeling Wright? or just a little better? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Feeling Wright? or just a little better?
so, how we feeling about the man?

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:14 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You're a master of Karate!
And Friendship.
For everyone.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pOwmgTvQNl0

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

If he can beat Sam and/or Nichols then we can say once again that he is the "Wright" man for the job!

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:55 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I say we have more than the necessary tools to win.....so I am going to need to see two more w's before I can again believe this will fly

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I feel a little better about Coach Wright but I won't know till there are more games played. I do know that Teis still needs to go.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:17 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If he can beat Sam and/or Nichols then we can say once again that he is the "Wright" man for the job!

At this point i dont think i will ever say he was the "wright" man for the job. Nevertheless, he is the man WITH the job and still has plenty of time to turn things around.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

"Not the man to take us where we need to go."

But then again I expect better than 6-5 & a third place showing in the SLC every year. I realize that I may be in the minority.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 pm

6-5 is not my ideal either, but considering we have had two winning seasons since 2000 we have to start somewhere.
We have to have someone to build a program here. I would say rebuild but we would be simply rebuilding failure.
Is Wright the person to do that, I don't think we can tell yet but like I say a winning season is a good start.
We must also start to look at building an overall program, not just football, if we hope to become attractive to a conference that plays FBS football. That will take overall athletic department leadership. The answer to that question may be "not the man to take us where we need to go."
We should be playing for a conference championship in EVERY SPORT at the end of EVERY SEASON. If we aren't then we need to find out why. Is it that we all just settle, is it that we haven't expected anything for so long that we are so happy when we actually do win something. That is a horrible attitude and would never wash with a program that expects excellence in everything.
I can't stand Texas but we could learn a lot from them and what they expect out of their athletic programs. They expect excellence and they get it in EVERY SPORT and when they don't changes are made. Look at their Women's basketball program. They were coached by a legend, member of the College Hall of Fame, but her program was losing its edge. Our program would be so happy with the past that we would let it slide, they did too for a while, but finally did something about it, legend or not. We should and must do the same.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

6-5 is not my ideal either, but considering we have had two winning seasons since 2000 we have to start somewhere.
We have to have someone to build a program here. I would say rebuild but we would be simply rebuilding failure.
Is Wright the person to do that, I don't think we can tell yet but like I say a winning season is a good start.
We must also start to look at building an overall program, not just football, if we hope to become attractive to a conference that plays FBS football. That will take overall athletic department leadership. The answer to that question may be "not the man to take us where we need to go."
We should be playing for a conference championship in EVERY SPORT at the end of EVERY SEASON. If we aren't then we need to find out why. Is it that we all just settle, is it that we haven't expected anything for so long that we are so happy when we actually do win something. That is a horrible attitude and would never wash with a program that expects excellence in everything.
I can't stand Texas but we could learn a lot from them and what they expect out of their athletic programs. They expect excellence and they get it in EVERY SPORT and when they don't changes are made. Look at their Women's basketball program. They were coached by a legend, member of the College Hall of Fame, but her program was losing its edge. Our program would be so happy with the past that we would let it slide, they did too for a while, but finally did something about it, legend or not. We should and must do the same.

I agree, we need to start somewhere....we really need to string together 3 or 4 winning seasons in a row to build that expectation for winning...even if a couple of those winning seasons are 6-5 years.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I said "still suspect - need to win out". I know we've won three in a row and I'm very happy for that, but we still have two tough games ahead of us. And I'm still not able to get over the inexcusable loss to Abilene Christian, as well as a couple of the other hideous performances.

In addition to our performance the last two games, I think his ability (and the rest of the staff's ability) to recruit this offseason will say something about him as well. Despite the talent we currently have coming back, we have lost a TON of talent since he has come on ~ talent that needs to be replaced IMHO. When judging a coach, I consider his recruiting ability as much as I do his ability to run the X's and O's.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Still suspect, need to beat one, prefer shsu.

That was my vote, I expect to lose this weekend just because it is Nichols and on the road but if we beat SAM and finish 5-6 I will be impressed with how well Wright was able to turn the team around despite the horrid start. Having said that, I fully expect to go to the playoffs next year or else he needs to go.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

In addition to our performance the last two games, I think his ability (and the rest of the staff's ability) to recruit this offseason will say something about him as well.

I think recruiting this will define Coach Wright & the staff. Let's face it, in only half of the games that we've played this year have the Bobcats been the most physically gifted or dominant. You can really see the differences in programs for example when you look at McNeese's skill position players & ours. Coach Wright hired the "young'ns" for a reason; he believes they are hungrier. Well the recruiting trail is where this team will make it or break it. After all, we don't have X's & O's masters on either side of the ball coaching here.

The ability to recruit or not recruit will be Wright & staff's legacy.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ScrappyCat wrote:
In addition to our performance the last two games, I think his ability (and the rest of the staff's ability) to recruit this offseason will say something about him as well.

I think recruiting this will define Coach Wright & the staff. Let's face it, in only half of the games that we've played this year have the Bobcats been the most physically gifted or dominant. You can really see the differences in programs for example when you look at McNeese's skill position players & ours. Coach Wright hired the "young'ns" for a reason; he believes they are hungrier. Well the recruiting trail is where this team will make it or break it. After all, we don't have X's & O's masters on either side of the ball coaching here.

The ability to recruit or not recruit will be Wright & staff's legacy.

i agree up to a point. but look at franchione. good recruiting classes, but look at the results on the field. not good at all. (on the other hand, his previous coaching jobs -- before a&m -- were successes. i'm still puzzled why he did so poorly in aggieland.)

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fran didn't do all that well in recruiting heads up against the big boys in the Big XII South. Below are A&M's rankings under Fran:

Rivals
2003 - 10th (Texas 15, OU 4)
2004 - 14th (Texas 10, OU 8)
2005 - 8th (Texas 20, OU 3)
2006 - 27th (Texas 5, OU 9)
2007 - 43rd (Texas 5, OU 14)

The telling stat is player average (stars per player) over the same time period:

Texas - 3.64
OU - 3.57
A&M - 3.05

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:20 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]