Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Labor Day - Move In Specials! :( 

Will Labor Day Weekend hurt Opening Day's attendance?
Yes 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
No 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 26

Labor Day - Move In Specials! :( 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

when i was in school there 20+ years ago, the dorms would practically clear out on weekends. never could understand that, but i guess times haven't changed much. my own nephew spends more weekends away from campus than he does there. but i had a lot of fun staying in town for the weekend and went home very infrequently -- mostly holidays.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I am originally from Houston and I specifically picked SWT/Texas State since it was away from "home". I had spent enough years living with my parents and I was ready to taste some freedom.

Similar situation for me. I wanted to get away and break the Tech/Angelo traditions of my school. I went to SWT because it was known as a party school... little did i know i would actually come out with a good education...

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yeah, I came with a gf and there was a steady digression. At first I would load up and leave thursday night and stay till sunday night. Soon, I would leave Friday nights and come back Sunday morning. By 2nd semester fresh year I was just hitting up the ole hometown strange every other holiday.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:36 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

What will kill attendance the most this year is the fact that most classes will be M-W or T-Th. Starting in Fall there will be very few Friday classes. This was set up so that Friday's could be used for Faculty meetings, student group meetings and the like. However it will just lead to students being on campus Monday through Thursday and getting a head start on the weekend, which means fewer around for the games on Saturday.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:11 am
Junior Bobcat

thanks to myspace, facebook, cell phones etc its a whole lot easier to keep in touch with your old friends these days, people dont graduate highschool and grow apart and see each other on holidays and during the summer anymore.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:42 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

What will kill attendance the most this year is the fact that most classes will be M-W or T-Th. Starting in Fall there will be very few Friday classes. This was set up so that Friday's could be used for Faculty meetings, student group meetings and the like. However it will just lead to students being on campus Monday through Thursday and getting a head start on the weekend, which means fewer around for the games on Saturday.

i suppose MW and TTH classes work fine if you want to be (or are) a commuter school. but it's a bad idea if you want to a truly residential school where students stay engaged with the campus. of course, i did everything i could to avoid scheduling friday classes anyway when i was in school. but i stayed in SM for my three-day weekend.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah I think that a LOT of these new Freshmen will be going home for labor day. If you would see how badly they are molly-coddled bye their parents, you begin to wonder how long they will make it at school here. I don't know if it's just me or does this Freshamn class (the Rising STARS of 2011, lol) seem a lot more juvenille.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:32 pm
Site Admin

Yeah I think that a LOT of these new Freshmen will be going home for labor day. If you would see how badly they are molly-coddled bye their parents, you begin to wonder how long they will make it at school here. I don't know if it's just me or does this Freshamn class (the Rising STARS of 2011, lol) seem a lot more juvenille.

Blah.

Freshmen were like that when I started in '98 too, though.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:40 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2