Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Labor Day - Move In Specials! :( 

Will Labor Day Weekend hurt Opening Day's attendance?
Yes 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
No 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 26

Labor Day - Move In Specials! :( 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Labor Day - Move In Specials! :(
Supposedly Labor Day Weekend is the time when families ask their siblings to come help "move for free" into new apartments.

I happily accepted earlier this week when I was asked, only to remember mere moments later that this slave-drive will prevent me from attending the inaugural scoreboard game. To say the least, I am bummed. As much as I want it to be a sellout come Sept. 1st, a lot of homesick freshman will use that time to head home and receive kisses from their mommies minimizing those chances.

Anyone else think Labor Day will play a factor?

You're a master of Karate!
And Friendship.
For everyone.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pOwmgTvQNl0

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

it didn't last year. maybe times have changed for the better and more students stay in town so they can go to a home football game.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Labor day hurts some, but I don't think we will notice, probably still have a large turn out like last years.
Dan

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

only pussies get homesick enough to miss the cats. word.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

anyone pansy enough to go home less than 2 weeks into the school year probably wouldn't be going to the game regardless.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:29 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

anyone pansy enough to go home less than 2 weeks into the school year probably wouldn't be going to the game regardless.

Agree.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:23 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I believe that kids who return weekends during semester to their HS hometowns probably don't make the grades or simply drop out, heading back every weekend to a place probably within 3 hours of your dorm room tells me the person wasn't mature enough to handle leaving their comfort zone and ready to attend college and focus on what college can provide them

certainly they seem not able to appreciate that there is way way more available to them than attending class and taking tests

commuters are a similar ilk, they grow up to be the neighbors that no one on the street knows, who you only see coming and going, I mean if you aren't going to "live" where you live.....well move so we can get someone who wants to assimilate...yep, mmm-mmm, right on man

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:11 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I believe that kids who return weekends during semester to their HS hometowns probably don't make the grades or simply drop out, heading back every weekend to a place probably within 3 hours of your dorm room tells me the person wasn't mature enough to handle leaving their comfort zone and ready to attend college and focus on what college can provide them

Or they attend A&M. I've never seen a college where more people hang out with their exact same set of friends from high school than that place. I made the mistake of going to some friends' party there once and I remember thinking, wow it's all the same people from our high school parties.

I did have a roommate that went home EVERY weekend for 2 years. He had his truck loaded up before class on Fridays so he didn't have to come in the apartment after he got off the shuttle bus. He never came back until close to midnight on Sundays. He dropped out with 1 semester to go to get married and work at the local TxDOT office. What's weird was that his girlfriend (from HS obviously) went to TxSt also. I never understood why they went home every week but it gave me my own place on weekends for the two years I lived with him.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

Not sure about your school...but here at Sam a lot of students go home to work on the weekends. Of course many leave too just to "go home"...but work is also a big factor.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:44 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LOL, I have no idea where the hate is coming from... Every weekend is a bit much, but my soph year in the spring I had to go home about a dozen times for different reasons. Wasn't fun, 6 hours of my weekend waisted every time...

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:33 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I am originally from Houston and I specifically picked SWT/Texas State since it was away from "home". I had spent enough years living with my parents and I was ready to taste some freedom.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:55 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I believe that kids who return weekends during semester to their HS hometowns probably don't make the grades or simply drop out, heading back every weekend to a place probably within 3 hours of your dorm room tells me the person wasn't mature enough to handle leaving their comfort zone and ready to attend college and focus on what college can provide them.

I think your theory has some validity since my first college roommate went home every weekend and failed to graduate, period. Hell, he never made it his sophomore year and eventually transferred to a community college near his home. He left after class Thursday afternoon and did not return until Monday morning. He was a serious mama's boy...

I loved my time at Texas State and San Marcos and probably would have went home even less if I had to do it all over again.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Although my parents left my "hometown" after I graduated high school, I still went back there (45 minutes away) pretty much every weekend and stayed at my girlfriend's house during my freshman year.

I felt out of place at Tarleton because my roommate and a lot of the guys around there were all cowboys. I didn't take the time to find a group of friends because I planned on transferring at the end of the year anyways. Actually, I HATED it there that first year.

Things got better my Sophomore year when I forced to work weekends. I started hanging out with more people, and getting involved. I found that getting involved in a number of student organizations helped me to appreciate the school. That is the number one piece of advice I give people when they go off to college (that and live in a dorm-- it teaches you so many things).

Since that year I have only been back to my 'hometown' a handful of times, mostly for weddings.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

CatManDo wrote:

Or they attend A&M. I've never seen a college where more people hang out with their exact same set of friends from high school than that place. I made the mistake of going to some friends' party there once and I remember thinking, wow it's all the same people from our high school parties.

I did have a roommate that went home EVERY weekend for 2 years. He had his truck loaded up before class on Fridays so he didn't have to come in the apartment after he got off the shuttle bus. He never came back until close to midnight on Sundays. He dropped out with 1 semester to go to get married and work at the local TxDOT office. What's weird was that his girlfriend (from HS obviously) went to TxSt also. I never understood why they went home every week but it gave me my own place on weekends for the two years I lived with him.

hilarious, that is exactly colley station and more than half the people from that place never leave, end up marrying people their friends dated in high school, but since most aggies are from somewhere else and they go back someplace else when they graduate I wouldn't say its an aggie thing....the "eternal locals" are a truly strange bunch with probably the narrowest world view of any population anywhere.....the kind of place you could build a bush library....

actually, maybe it is an aggie thing, cause my kid goes there and now that I think about it, he hangs with a lot of people he knew growing up in austin, maybe they can't let go of their old buds cause they view them as "tradition"

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post University should send email...
University should send email to the student body today promoting this game. Kids are probably at home now making plans for Labor Day weekend when they probably don't even know about the game...yet.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:21 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next